Router table insert plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to build a router table, and trying to understand the different insert plates that seem to be available.

There are a couple of makes - Kreg and Infinity which seem to look good, particularly as they provide pre-drilled options for Triton routers (which I already have). I can't seem to find re-sellers for these makes in the UK. I have found Kreg from ebay in the US, but with the obvious problem of shipping costs, and returns if there is a problem. Anyone know of UK distributors?

I'm not set on the above makes, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

There are a lot of cheap imitations on ebay, but look like nothing more than perspex with a hole in the middle, and v cheap.

For the table top, I am thinking of using 38mm kitchen worktop (laminate) to mount the router plate. It is sturdy and low friction for passing timber over, however I have not seen ANYONE on forums or youtube using this for this purpose - is there some fundamental reason no-one seems to use this?

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Tim

I looked at a piece of worktop (quite an expensive one) for a router table top and was amazed how out of flat it was. Particularly front to back. I'm talking 2-3mm bow in it, so put a straight edge across it first. If it is flat I can't see why you couldn't use it.

exactly what porker says. if the worktop is laminate over chip board, itll be like a rollercoaster.

Buy something like melamine coated, but whatever the name, it should be almost engineering quality flat. Its OK to double up if you cant get your exact thickness in one piece.

Kreg is sold by a few UK dealers. Yandles in Somerset for one, but you will most likely have to drill the plate for your router. No big deal.
Be aware kreg plates are resin and can warp. Mine did, but Kreg USA replaced it direct from USA with no quibble whatsoever. If you can run to the extra, buy ali or steel.

Lots of threads on here about router tables, anything from a tenner to a thousand quid, just search for them.

I have the Triton TRA001 and it’s a heavy piece of gear so decided on the Aluminium Incra Magna Lock plate from Woodworkers Workshop together with their cut out template.

The only drilling of the insert plate needed was for the rise and fall handle, easy to do

I purchased a worktop offcut from an independent kitchen supply shop, just take a good straight edge with you.

As mentioned there are a number of table builds on the forum, this was mine, might be of some interest.

router-table-build-t90615.html

I have the triton MOF001 (the smaller brother of the TRA01) mounted in kreg predrilled plate sunk into 38mm kitchen worktop. I completed the self made router table and fence about a month ago and i couldn't be happier.

Now i do not pretend to have the professional skills of many of the forum members, but this has provided a massive improvement in my equipment and quality of work.

Uk suppliers for the Kreg PRS4034 plate are very unreliable... i often found it out of stock and also found sellers tht didn't understand the diffrence between the undrilled plate and the triton drilled plate. The price also seemd to vary wildly between £50 and over £90!

I got mine here ... https://www.applebywoodturnings.co.uk/k ... s4034.html
but i paid £50. when i contacted them they said supply was very problematic with kreg "playing silly biggers" over both prices and availability - seems like kreg wants to limit the number of resellers - that might now explain the ludicrous price they are now charging.

Choice may depend on which Triton you have, there is a substantial weight difference between the

Triton TRA001 @ 7.55kg

Baby brother MOF001 @ 4.78kg

I plan on building a router table this quarter. I looked at inserts and it looks like many of them require drilling to match the router anyway. So I am going to make my own. Get an alloy sheet from aluminium warehouse, cost.about £12.00. Radius the corners, drill the holes and it's done. Fraction of the cost of a bought one....

At least that is the plan.

Have a look at my old thread - I built a table top around the Triton workcentre top which was a really effective way of doing it on a budget and I'm really pleased with the results.

Try Yandles for the Kreg plate. I bought some other Kreg items from them for much less than I could find elsewhere. I have similar set up to Brandlin and I'm no expert either however it seems to work for me, I looked at the Magnalock and a downdraft enclosure but was advised against that as it draws dust into the router itself and blows the armature. Triton recommend extracting from the designated port on the router itself. In addition, I cut a whole on the outfeed side and extract from that too. It works great, like a black hole, sucking in anything thrown forward that used to shoot over the far side of the table.

Router_plate.jpg

Attachments

• Router_plate.jpg
    Router_plate.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 6,266
Don't believe everything you are advised against, I have been using a properly designed enclosure on my router table for four years and hundreds of meters of material through it, the router still runs perfectly, there are a few people on here who will tell you things they have no personally experience of, one in particular who will post about everything and say it in the most verbose way possible.

Mike

Lonsdale73":1jqcgjlt said:
Try Yandles for the Kreg plate. I bought some other Kreg items from them for much less than I could find elsewhere. I have similar set up to Brandlin and I'm no expert either however it seems to work for me, I looked at the Magnalock and a downdraft enclosure but was advised against that as it draws dust into the router itself and blows the armature. Triton recommend extracting from the designated port on the router itself. In addition, I cut a whole on the outfeed side and extract from that too. It works great, like a black hole, sucking in anything thrown forward that used to shoot over the far side of the table.

Should have noted i extract from the moulded port on the clear plastic shroud of the triton AND from the fence. My MOF001 is enclosed on 5 sides of a cube but open on the front to give access to the height lock and power switch. I do get some heavy chipsin the enclosure but the collection of dust itself is pretty good.

I havent thought about anther hole in the table. If i encounter problems i think thats what i'd do rather than seal the enclosure and extract from it.

MikeJhn":11yhl27v said:
Don't believe everything you are advised against, I have been using a properly designed enclosure on my router table for four years and hundreds of meters of material through it, the router still runs perfectly, there are a few people on here who will tell you things they have no personally experience of, one in particular who will post about everything and say it in the most verbose way possible.

Mike

... and another who posts on every thread and is sarcastically critical of others ...

Back