Electronic speed control conversion possible?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelman093

Reaction score
Having bought an Axminster AWVSL1000 a couple of years ago for a specific purpose for which it has been entirely satisfactory I now have a hankering for electronic speed control rather than the expanding / contracting pulley set up.
Presumably this could involve a motor change plus the electronic control gear. Is this possible or sensible or should I sell it and start again ?

Personally I would say Possible but Impractical on cost and work involved.

1. Cost of new motor and electronic invertor to drive.
2. Mechanical incompatibility of drive system requiring new pulleys to fit new motor shaft etc.

Money better spent putting towards a new machine with sale of existing machine as a deposit in my opinion.

( started with a similar machine)

By no means impossible but given the drive system in these lathes it is almost certainly impractical.

Why are the pulleys an issue ?
There would have to be a new one on the new 3ph motor , but as long as the correct size is fitted to give the speed range required from the motor side.Then the variable one on the headstock would stay at whatever you leave it. You may need to remove the handle to stop the ability to change the pulley dimension . But if left alone it would just act as a fixed sized pulley.
If you have access to a cheap motor and VFD. Then its worth a try as long as the pulleys can be aligned and the motor will mount.
I am in a similar predicament with a Draper wtl90. I hate it when I have mounted a fresh piece of wood that I know will be out of balance, and then find I left the lathe in too high a speed. Its a choice of can I change speed before it shakes my shed down . Or do I remove the piece and then change speed before remounting.
I used to have access to lots of invertors and motors. But I no longer work there and so would need to buy the gear to do it. Which now makes it an economic no go.

kirso":3mr1hzxg said:
Why are the pulleys an issue ?
What sounds simple inariably isn't, motor shaft size/pulley bore for starters, motor mount will almost certainly need adaptors.
kirso":3mr1hzxg said:
I am in a similar predicament with a Draper wtl90. I hate it when I have mounted a fresh piece of wood that I know will be out of balance, and then find I left the lathe in too high a speed. Its a choice of can I change speed before it shakes my shed down . Or do I remove the piece and then change speed before remounting.

I believe Reeve drive guidence with such machines is to reduce speed when finishing or before starting under load for this very reason.
It's not a problem to change a Reeves Drive speed without powering up, just need to rotate work/chuck by hand to encourage belt to traverse the vee whilst changing lever position. Done it countless times myself whilst turning and balancing larger pieces

As above you should always put the speed to the slowest setting before stopping the lathe.

Some of the problems anticipated can be avoided.

The Motor will have a Frame Size on the label, you should be able to purchase the 3 Phase motor with the same frame size in which case the Shaft Diameter and Motor Footprint will be exactly the same.

The existing Pulley and Belt will therefore be ok.

The Motor mounting will be the same.

Not familiar with the Reeves Type Drive, but i would guess if you retain this then you would end up with the possibility of a Variable Speed Variable Speed situation.

Richard

The motors on these lathes have a none standard shaft to house the spring loaded sliding pulley and I have seen subtly different fixing details on various clones due to differences in motor casings.

buylathe5.jpg

Mine had an Aluminium framed motor :- post62987.html#p62987

Back