The neverending Table Saw decision

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":332upfl9 said:
, only you will know how often you will need the extra width of an extension table.

Mike

That's a good point and there's the question of do I need it or do I want it? I find I'm getting quite proficient with the tracksaw, t'other day I was churning out strips 6mm x 600mm, which is easy enough when there's material to sit the track saw on, not quite so easy with, e.g reducing a 44mm piece to 40mm. However, I would like to think a properly set up bandsaw with the right blade should cover that for me. I think I have the same one as you (BS350); I'd not long bought it when I sacrificed my fingertip to the planer, and since getting back into the workshop I've been pottering about on different things so no really looked at it again. Blade was reasonably straight prior to accident but now it's drifting badly. Could be the blade, could be my technique (or lack thereof), could be set up. I have now bought some Tuff saws and when current project is complete I shall rewatch the Alan Holman DVD and all the others on youtube to remind myself how to fit a blade correctly and try again with it. Might find I don't need a tablesaw at all.

Although if space and funds permitted, I'd jump at the chance of a Chanwood / Scheppach type.

If I was reducing a 44mm strip to 40mm I would do that on the planer, would not be able to do that on the table saw as the tooth width is more than 4mm so would not be able to use the fence, alternatively I could use the router table with a packed out fence on one side, I think the bandsaw would be my last resort.

Mike

MikeJhn":2tl7f5hu said:
If I was reducing a 44mm strip to 40mm I would do that on the planer, would not be able to do that on the table saw as the tooth width is more than 4mm so would not be able to use the fence, alternatively I could use the router table with a packed out fence on one side, I think the bandsaw would be my last resort.

Mike

Yes, perhaps not the best example to give. A better one might be the 120mm board I wanted to rip in half. Too narrow for the track saw so I tried it on the bandsaw, blade wandered so badly I ended up sqaring it off on the router. At such times I think "This would have been simpler on a tablesaw!"

If you bandsaw blade is wandering that much its either because its blunt or the tension is insufficient, or both, ripping 120mm down to two 60mm should be a doddle on the 350.

Mike

MikeJhn":3uaw433k said:
If you bandsaw blade is wandering that much its either because its blunt or the tension is insufficient, or both, ripping 120mm down to two 60mm should be a doddle on the 350.

Mike

That's what I thought / hoped. In fairness, it is the blade which came with it which I've used to cut up some old kitchen cabinets to make them easier to dispose of, to cut soil pipe for my dust extraction, attempted to cut a bandsaw box and there was something else which I wasn't entirely sure would be good for the blade but figued what the hell, blade will be replaced soon enough any way.

Forewarning though, if I find the new blades negate the need for a tablesaw, I'll be back badgering you for guidance on replacing the bearings. I'm no engineer but even so I think the ones fitted as standard are of poor design.

The certainly are a poor design, so much so that Record Power have recognised the fact and their new range of Bandsaws have bearing guides in place of the rubbing blocks, if you want to change those horrible things on your bandsaw, Chris152 who followed my lead found a much easier way to fit the the top Axminster guides, look here: axminster-hbs350n-bandsaw-advice-t105064-90.html

Mike :ho2

MikeJhn":10sk5rj6 said:
sickasapike

The Axminster TS200 and TS250 come as a basic saw, without stand, extensions or side slide table, if you want those you have to select them as either a complete kit or buy them as after market accessories. In fact that is what I did.

Mike
Wish I'd known, ah well :)

Unless you need to move your saw around (when brushed motor saws are generally lighter in weight) induction motor machinery is generally quieter and smoother. These make them much nicer to live with in my opinion. Further, the motors are essentially sealed with no brushes to wear out so they they can have a very long life.
I'm a hobby woodworker who has invested in new and used French "Kity" machnes over the years and think they are a great brand for the amateur. Unusually they have cast aluminium tables finished in some form of grey anodise. These are rigid and do not rust. Unfortunately Kity are no longer manufacturing (their classic ranges) and I would not buy anything used without seeing the machine or having enough familiarity with them to judge from photographs.
If I were buying new today, I would look to Axminster's trade machines but I'm not impressed with their hobby range.

Kity where bought out a few years ago by Sheppach and are still available under that range, takes a bit of looking to recognise the old Kity in its new clothes, but what it does mean is that spares are still available, although perhaps a bit different i.e. plastic gears instead of metal that sort of thing, but drive belts are available on line from various outlets.

Mike

MikeJhn":vraqo8yz said:
Kity were bought out a few years ago by Sheppach and are still available under that range, takes a bit of looking to recognise the old Kity in its new clothes, but what it does mean is that spares are still available, although perhaps a bit different i.e. plastic gears instead of metal that sort of thing, but drive belts are available on line from various outlets.

Mike
Yes, Thanks Mike. I've been over to the distributors Numa (Nema ?) Agencies in Yorkshire to buy replacement blades and belts for my Kity table saw. They were extremely helpful and I got an interesting guided tour to see many of the blue Scheppach branded machines in the warehouse. Interesting to see and hear how a few details of the tools have been improved since the buy out but also to recognise how those old designs from the 80's and before remain functional and reliable today.

Sideways":1zdez575 said:
MikeJhn":1zdez575 said:
Kity were bought out a few years ago by Sheppach and are still available under that range, takes a bit of looking to recognise the old Kity in its new clothes, but what it does mean is that spares are still available, although perhaps a bit different i.e. plastic gears instead of metal that sort of thing, but drive belts are available on line from various outlets.

Mike
Yes, Thanks Mike. I've been over to the distributors Numa (Nema ?) Agencies in Yorkshire to buy replacement blades and belts for my Kity table saw. They were extremely helpful and I got an interesting guided tour to see many of the blue Scheppach branded machines in the warehouse. Interesting to see and hear how a few details of the tools have been improved since the buy out but also to recognise how those old designs from the 80's and before remain functional and reliable today.

I found NMA to pretty helpful as well. When I emailed asking about a bandsaw (Basa 3) they answered everything I asked. They also pointed out the same for me - the fact that the Basa 3 is basically an old Kity design.

Back