Elu routers - still a good buy, even now?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone on another forum is selling an ELU MOF 96.

I was casually thinking of replacing my half-broken gifted b&q jobbie, so im considering it, but...

I know most of the parts are available, but, when i look about, most of the threads about the unit are from a decade ago, and they were long in the tooth then. I guess its got to be about 25yrs old now?

The seller wants £50, which is about mid price compared to ebay's completed listings, but they are local enough to me that i wouldnt need postal costs on top.

...however

If i spend about double (ie £100) i get a brand new Trend T5, with three year warranty, soft start, a few more accessories (like the micro adjust and the extraction attachment).

I have no doubt that the ELU was probably a good buy a decade or so ago, but it seems not to stack up to new offerings now, however the amount of hype seeming to be generated where its for sale... well, im really not sure!

Does anyone here have any comments? I guess im not asking if theyre a good machine (theres plenty of people saying they are) but more that, compared to a new T5, with the extra stuff, soft start, and a 3yr warranty - is it a sensible buy or not?

Thank you.

Julian

You already know the answer, you just want someone to confirm you should spend the extra £50.00 :lol:

Mike

I think it was Custard that recalled some of the pros not touching anything else, but the Elu for certain jobs.
I would go for it :D

If it's the 96 rather than the 96e then not quite so good as the variable speed is better. I still have my original 96e and wouldn't part with it. Only wish I hadb't sold on my 177e years ago as it was better than the DeWalt I replaced it with.

that said, the Trend is I believe a nice machine and you would have the benefit of a warranty and a brand new shiny toy.

Bob

No point in owning a piece of history, just buy the new tool and get on with woodworking.

I picked up a 1/4" and a 1/2" Elu last year and they're both solid reliable bits of kit. Will be chalk and cheese to the b and q you have. If it's just seen hobby use, and you only plan hobby use it will see you out.
Getting accessories is the harder part

julianf":2qsblrd2 said:
Someone on another forum is selling an ELU MOF 96... I guess its got to be about 25yrs old now?

I've got, and still use, an Elu MOF 11. It was Elu's first ever router and one of the first hand held plunge routers. It's over 60 years old but still supremely accurate, furthermore certain design features means it's simply the best router there is for housing joints.

Having said that the world has moved on; soft start, variable speed, and better dust extraction means that in your position, no matter how much affection I have for Elu, I'd still get the Trend.

It's true there are certain routing jobs where I would only trust an Elu or a Festool, but they're hardly everyday woodworking challenges, for 99.9% of jobs the Trend is all the router you'll ever need.

I'd echo Custards comments.

I still have a couple of Elu 177 routers that must be at least 25 years old and still going strong.
Depending on the work I'm doing, I generally pick up my Festool routers due to their far superior dust extraction, but for more simplistic tasks, the Elu's still get a lot of use.

Elu.........damn, it's priceless. The MOF 96 is brilliant. Snap it up.

Dust extraction has it's costs in terms of performance: you can't see anywhere near so much around the cutter, and the depth of plunge is much reduced by all the shrouding.

I would jump on the Elu,but then I still have a Stanley 267 in good order and wouldn't like to be without it.I haven't used the equivalent Trend but I would expect it to be good and I would buy the Trend in preference to a DeWalt as I have found two of their MOF96 replacements had bases that put the guide bush out of concentricity with the cutter.

I think ive concluded that im not going to purchase it.

At first glance, £50 is in the middle of ebay's completed listings, however, this machine is pretty bare on accessories, and ebay items selling for similar seem more comprehensively accessorised.

And its not as if they're rare - a whole stack of them in completed listings, so, if anyone does ever want one, just go there and buy one! : )

I suspect i will probably go for the T5 when the time comes.

Thanks to all for your input.

I think you have made the right decision.Purchasing second hand tools from a source that is unknown to you is a worrying idea since you may be dealing with an honest tradesman but equally may be buying stolen goods from one of the increasing number of thieving toe rags who are stealing tools.

I've got a 96e that is great, and my old man still has a 96. They're both in really good nick. HOWEVER - they've both been cared for since new.

Go for the Trend - it's a 1/4" router so you'll outgrow it after a while but they're handy for some things. I have a 1/4" router permanently set up for my dovetail jig so I have zero hassle getting it set up. It's great for that.

LancsRick":2pis7nbq said:
I've got a 96e that is great, and my old man still has a 96. They're both in really good nick. HOWEVER - they've both been cared for since new.

Go for the Trend - it's a 1/4" router so you'll outgrow it after a while but they're handy for some things. I have a 1/4" router permanently set up for my dovetail jig so I have zero hassle getting it set up. It's great for that.

+1

Can't have enough routers though and when you outgrow it you'll keep it for small jobs where a 1/2" machine is unwieldy then, if you get carried away you'll buy a little palm router as well. Don't ask how I know :wink:

Good router but stuff does and will go wrong. If I was given the router I would still swap the brushes out as the go brittle with heat and age. £50 is Ott mof 97 may be better bet though.

I've bought both MOF177E and MOF96E routers used over the last year. I shop carefully and have had a 96E for years so fairly confident with changing out the bearings. I had to replace the armature on the 96E so it ended up costing £100. Still well worth it. I reckon a good original Swiss made ElU is better than a new Trend or DeWalt copy but admit I'm biassed. I would like to try a festool or the new Bosch to see how well the extraction works.

My T5 has done reasonable service, but I'd hesitate to recommend one to you, the speed controller is very... Odd? It'll run down as if it's overheating in the middle of a very light cut, sometimes when not under any load, and I recall this being a fault reported by several of people.

Plus, the plunge action is locked by a twist of the handle opposite the switch, but both handles are identical in feel, and both can be turned - if I had a penny for everytime I've carefully set a cutter depth, turned the wrong handle to lock it,and had to start again I'd hehe a good few quid!

I tend to buy Elu routers when I see them come up. I have about 7 routers in the shop and It tends to be cheaper to buy an old router than get a newish one repaired when they go wrong. The experience Ive had is that the Swiss made Elus seem to last longer than the newer Dewalts, athough thats only anecdotal experience.

The best way Ive found to see how much work a router has done is to look at a picture of the router base. Ive bought 25 year old routers that have clearly only been used a handful of times and are good as new.

I have a fair collection of Elu Routers.
Like others I buy them at the right price & only if they've been lightly used. Well used routers this age are a nightmare waiting to happen.

Just for interest my experiences are:

MOF 177. Great router! Got more user friendly as they went on (easier to set up fine adjust fences, dust extraction, quick release collet nuts). Much nicer than the Dewalts & Trends in terms of quality. I wouldn't buy one without the plastic DX accessories though.

MOF 96e. As above. The mini table accessory is genius & incredibly useful for small jobs or tipping on its side & using as a giant fence. However I wouldn't buy another, I would hold out for a...

OF 97. Great DX, good fence, much improved plunge depth settings, quick release collet. Not quite the same quality as the 96's but much nicer to set up & use.

I also have a T11, purely because it will live in a table & has above the table height adjustment. The plastic DX fittings fit straight onto my 177 though, so really the two are essentially the same in terms of DX (that's 20 years of progress for you). Can't say the quality is anywhere near the Elu though.

I would love to try a Festool, but I really don't NEED one right now.
Interestingly prices for Elu routers has more than doubled on Ebay over the past 12 months, sometimes fetching similar money to a brand new Trend or Dewalt, which is barking. I guess people still appreciate the quality though.

Back