CORENET LATHE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have just got hold of a Coronet wood lathe ,It is in excellent condition except for the twin bars, which are rusty
Also I have quite a few Coronet chisels in absolute perfect condition, never been used and are "as new"
What year did Coronet stop making the lathes or naming their chisels. I have some spare by the way that I will be selling if anyone wants them
Timber

AndyT":1r9mtmuz said:
The Coronet Tool Company was taken over by Record in the late 70s but Record kept the brand in use until the 80s, according to this respected and useful site:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/
Thanks Andy,
Mine is blue in colour , not a chip or mark on it, don't think it has been used, However the bars were very rusty, and they are hollow about 1 1/2" dia. not solid as per lathes .co. The chisels all have coronet written on the handles. and not been used either, Quite remarkable------------ when I buy a new tool cant wait to try it out, But will have no need to use the chisels at the moment-------- someone might like them
Timber

timber":rdje46e9 said:
AndyT":rdje46e9 said:
The Coronet Tool Company was taken over by Record in the late 70s but Record kept the brand in use until the 80s, according to this respected and useful site:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/
Thanks Andy,
Mine is blue in colour , not a chip or mark on it, don't think it has been used, However the bars were very rusty, and they are hollow about 1 1/2" dia. not solid as per lathes .co. The chisels all have coronet written on the handles. and not been used either, Quite remarkable------------ when I buy a new tool cant wait to try it out, But will have no need to use the chisels at the moment-------- someone might like them
Timber

If you have a Coronet spindle roughing gouge I may be interested but I'd need to see a picture of the flute profile.

Mark

Record have just brought out a new Coronet. Looks a very good machine, has solid cast iron bed instead of bars. In our club we were looking to buy a record CL4 but have decided to go for the Coronet.

The new Coronet was my choice; it was between that and the CL4

Arrived last week, a novice myself, I find it excellent - mega quiet and feels fairly solid
Bought the legs too but not fitted yet. Now I regret buying the legs, a smallish purpose built stand/bench would have perhaps suited me OK

Purchased the CL4 chuck as advised HERE

Not tried the chuck yet but it looks the biz :D

Cordy":28q1as9g said:
The new Coronet was my choice; it was between that and the CL4

Arrived last week, a novice myself, I find it excellent - mega quiet and feels fairly solid
Bought the legs too but not fitted yet. Now I regret buying the legs, a smallish purpose built stand/bench would have perhaps suited me OK

Purchased the CL4 chuck as advised HERE

Not tried the chuck yet but it looks the biz :D

I had a CL 4 but sold it when I bought the Revo, Excellent lathe but far to good for my requirements .
I bought this smaller Coronet to turn small things that the Revo struggles with, small balls and knobs etc.
Mark
Have only got flat chisels to spare. That have not been used £20 if anyone wants one.
Timber

For the club we will need to have the lathe on wheels so that it can be stored away so the legs would have been too long. Fortunately we have a member who is a steel fabricator so will design a suitable steel stand to fit on heavy lockable wheels.

I too recently bought a Coronet Major with various accessories however the headstock ball bearing needs to be replaced.

The original bearing is an SKF 6205 ++ but I cannot find one with this number (I can get an SKF 6205-2RS twin seal but the bore size of this bearing is around 1mm too large)

My Coronet Major was manufactured in June 1971 (Ser. No. 790).

I would be very grateful for any information.

artisan":3ftjm6h5 said:
I too recently bought a Coronet Major with various accessories however the headstock ball bearing needs to be replaced.

The original bearing is an SKF 6205 ++ but I cannot find one with this number (I can get an SKF 6205-2RS twin seal but the bore size of this bearing is around 1mm too large)

My Coronet is just like a normal lathe nothing fancy , nothing like the Minor or Major

Are you getting rid of any tool rests at all for it? I'm after a really small one atm

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Doris":29okg38x said:
Are you getting rid of any tool rests at all for it? I'm after a really small one atm

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have some small tool rests, 3 and 4" long I think, which I had made up for my old No3 (CL3) for pen making. I can check the tool post size for you if interested.

Mark

artisan":1rxyt0kt said:

I replaced the bearings on my record power lathe (coronet 0 i think it is) and got them from www.bearingsrus.co.uk.

Also worth buying a new drive belt whilst you are there are well, the place above sells them.

think it came to around £15 for 2 bearings and the belt.

I bought these so different than yours, but may help your search?

6204-2Z SKF Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearing 20x47x14mm 6204ZZSKF
6202-2Z SKF Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearing 15x35x11mm 6202ZZSKF

and just beware, on my main shaft pulley it had 2 screws that had to be removed, not just 1

Thanks for the info. I think I have managed to sort out the bearings.

It is possible to buy an exact replacement from bearingsrus however they are around £70 each as they are a special size. Bearingsrus were extremely helpful by the way. They have some 1mm thinner than the originals but I turned up a spacer on the Myford and everything fits.

I am looking for a LH thread nut to fit on the main spindle to hold the saw blade if anyone has one to sell.

Back