Spalted Birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I was taken with a lump (100 x 100 x 350mm) of Spalted Birch at the Daventry Show in 2015 and at the time had no idea what I might make from it. I'd never turned any Spalted timber and have been wary after reading reports on the forum about it turning to dust and being difficult to get a 'finish' on it.

In a last minute desperate bid to create a Christmas present I came across it in my wood-pile yesterday so took the bull by the horns and created this lidded box.

I've kept the form simple since the character of the timber speaks for itself but added an Ebony band and finial.

Attachments

• Spalted Birch Vase B1.png
    Spalted Birch Vase B1.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Spalted Birch Vase A1.png
    Spalted Birch Vase A1.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,002
That should earn you some brownie points from the recipient.

What have you sealed the wood with?
I find a sanding sealer can be very beneficial in firming up the spalted wood and preventing in-service deterioration.

CHJ":1l97cr7g said:
That should earn you some brownie points from the recipient.
What have you sealed the wood with?
I find a sanding sealer can be very beneficial in firming up the spalted wood and preventing in-service deterioration
Yes CHJ, I learned about Sanding Sealer a while ago via this forum - probably from one of your posts :)

As you might expect, the cut surface was very variable mostly coming away in 'dust' - but I had good practice 'riding the bevel' of the gouge cutting the foot and the bottom of the bowl which helped, but ultimately it had two applications of Rustin's Grain Filler, sanded back to 240g then thee coats of sanding sealer cut back to 800g then MC Wax.

Nice job and like the contrast with the Ebony bands.

Spalted wood is one of those that is great up to a certain point then it gets very punky. It all depends on how you catch it

Latest posts

Back