You have a new friend suggestion...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I continue to get suggestions from Facebook that I should become friends with Laurence. Now I do know Laurence, we were friends from primary school days. I last spoke to him about 5 years ago.
I also happen to know that he died over two years ago so why does Facebook keep pestering me to become friends with him? I don't get it.

I have the app on my phone but don’t really use it and get friend requests from numerous people I’ve never heard of.

Rod

I don't use Facebook but if they can arrange contact with dead people I might sign up.

Facebook is eerie - It regularly suggests that I become friends with a Clive. Now, I know this person Clive, he used to have an allotment near us. However, there are no friends on FB in common between Clive and me, and for the last 10-ish years (i.e. before Facebook was around) he moved away, down Chichester way.

How does Facebook know that I (sort of) know him? In fact, I didn't even know Clive's surname until it appeared on FB, and I recognised the photo. Maybe they can communicate with the dead as well?

Chris

clanger":1oglyhdq said:
Facebook is eerie - It regularly suggests that I become friends with a Clive. Now, I know this person Clive, he used to have an allotment near us. However, there are no friends on FB in common between Clive and me, and for the last 10-ish years (i.e. before Facebook was around) he moved away, down Chichester way.
How does Facebook know that I (sort of) know him? In fact, I didn't even know Clive's surname until it appeared on FB, and I recognised the photo. Maybe they can communicate with the dead as well?
Chris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

I guess contact lists shared with social media links somewhere in the web provide email links, botts searching forums mine details, the thousands of 'LIKE' clickers on FB provide a web of database links.

You only need one FB 'friend' or follower with a 'Like' habit to flood your Home page with unsolicited junk it would seem.

No different to recieving spam mail on my server from accounts that have not been active 10 years or more, someone still has them listed.

Several thousand UKW accounts have been weeded out of UKW over the years for defunct email contact information or other reasons, formerly active but now deceased former members still have old information in their profiles, that information is still probably cached somewhere in the search engine information dumps so I've no reason to suppose it's not endemic to other forums and the web in general.

Facebook accounts can be "memorialized", which means they are marked as "in memory of", and don't get suggested as friends. I think it does need a bit of effort to do though, to prevent improper use.

I have often pondered on what Facebook uses to generate its friend suggestions. Mostly through mining contacts lists - email address books, phone contacts etc. Some by history - location, memberships etc. I get people who have, as far as I know, simply been in my home at some point; being effectively GPS tagged by FB is getting too intrusive for me so I avoid the FB phone app.

The really puzzling thing is that usually there are some "long shots" in there; the odd person in Uganda with only 3 friends who I've never heard of. Why ? has FB just taken pity on them having so few "friends" ?

Steve Maskery":v937ybdu said:
I continue to get suggestions from Facebook that I should become friends with Laurence. Now I do know Laurence, we were friends from primary school days. I last spoke to him about 5 years ago.
I also happen to know that he died over two years ago so why does Facebook keep pestering me to become friends with him? I don't get it.

Unless someone specifically logs into his account and makes the necessary changes how would Facebook have the information that he has passed? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

clanger":v937ybdu said:

Chris

I could be wrong but I think it could have been because that person searched for you? in which case, Facebook is trying to hook you up! :p

Maybe he bequeathed you a rack of Lie Nielsens and it's the only way they can contact you?

transatlantic":2t82to7v said:
I could be wrong but I think it could have been because that person searched for you? in which case, Facebook is trying to hook you up! :p

He may well have searched for me, but not in the last two years he hasn't. And I also get a very ex-girlfriend supposedly wants to be Friends, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't...

Steve Maskery":1z23d0r5 said:
transatlantic":1z23d0r5 said:

He may well have searched for me, but not in the last two years he hasn't. And I also get a very ex-girlfriend supposedly wants to be Friends, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't...
You never know - it is Christmas after all!

These are very scary thoughts: 1) that Facebook is a matchmaking/dating service and 2) a guy that I only vaguely know (and by first name only) knows my full name and is checking me out on Facebook.

I'm fairly new to [and sceptical of ] FB, every so often I get a friend request from some Russian dolly-bird with no posts or other information. Seems rather suspicious.
Perhaps she just wants me to vote for a greedy old bigot.

One more reson for me not to join facebook........

I boycot it because I don't think it is appropriatate for a profitmaking business under foreign law to have copyright to my entire life.

I only really use it for hobby groups. So much so that it has learnt to show me 90% group posts :D ... that and the fact I don;t have many friends :(

What it is good for is disseminating information to & about family. In my case, wedding photos & video.
Don't think I've signed in for over a year.

Back