1st Router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trakehner":3mmkiaha said:
I looked them up, this model had a Limiting rpm of 15, 000 where the router goes to 20, 000.

Ok, after some studying of the methodology that bearing manufacturers use, the reason for failing bearings on large pro routers might be different so I have to correct myself. The original NSK bearings in the DW625 are rated at 15, 000rpm but if the outer carapace is cooled, they can take more, especially if not under use for prolonged periods. The bearing of the Elu 177 family is press fitted into the aluminium base which acts as a large heatsink. Moreover, the armature fan cools it off. Smart, isn`t it. So it is not due to rpm mismatch, I believe.

I believe the reason (s) is different. Most ball bearings are prone to early failure if exposed to side forces. When fitted with the pretty standard lond straight cutter bits used by kitchen worktop fitters, the bit is too long and vibrations and pressure at its tip cause high load to the lower bearing, hence their quicker failure. Add dust when used on a table and you get a recipe from ball bearings Dr. Death. I am pretty sure if short cutters are used instead, routers will go with no issues.

That is not excuse for NSK (I believe they`re made by Koyo) as the SKF alternatives live several times longer under the same conditions and are sometimes even cheaper.

Silverline is great entry level, but the forefront of the current ranges available at the moment i would direct you towards Triton, the machinery is high quality and built to last with a versatile system which can incorporate a huge range of router cutters, which come in a very affordable range.

YorkshireMartin":3h05kjbw said:
If it's small stuff then you can't really go wrong with something like a Makita palm router. Consider though, how you will clamp work up for routing if its very fine. You may be better served with a router table such as the Trend Craftpro which is extremely versatile.

But as Eric says, more information needed.
Another vote for the Makita, I bought a big Erbauer 1/2" one at first and to be honest it terrified me initially (am fine with it now but it was my first sharp metal rotating really quickly making quite a racket tool, other than a hand drill). I intended to make a router table with it but it doesn't plunge enough (I did notice later the manufacturer says so somewhere); I then got the 1/4" Makita palm one for table work, it's a tough little thing, feels great in the hand and works well with a table.

Rutlands have a pretty decent table at 40 quid right now too, it fits the Makita pretty well (3 of 4 clamps seat well, holding it firmly enough I've found)

Latest posts

Back