Finish on oak beams

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm off to a France shortly for the summer and to pick up where I left off re the beams. I thought I would go with the Liberon Finishing Oil but then had a thought - I presume the oil is thin and quite runny (compared to waxed etc.) so would it be difficult doing the undersides of the beams - am I going to get saturated with it?? Would have been much easier to have put a coat on while the beams were on the ground but they had to be dragged/hoisted etc. and I thought there wouldn't have been much point - oh for hindsight...

PattyMac":2rqnnyg6 said:
Well, I'm off to a France shortly for the summer and to pick up where I left off re the beams. I thought I would go with the Liberon Finishing Oil but then had a thought - I presume the oil is thin and quite runny (compared to waxed etc.) so would it be difficult doing the undersides of the beams - am I going to get saturated with it?? Would have been much easier to have put a coat on while the beams were on the ground but they had to be dragged/hoisted etc. and I thought there wouldn't have been much point - oh for hindsight...

Yes it is thin. You wont get saturated but may have a few drips if using a brush and rushing. I did most of ours without incident but my other half volunteered to do some and there was bit of cleaning up to do afterwards :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply Beau. I'm not bothered about drips going onto the floor as it hasn't been done yet. Just wondered if it was a similar consistency to water. Think I may go with this.

Today someone has just mentioned Cambridge Timber Reviver - has anyone tried this?
May seem as though I've dragged this on but I am in the U.K. from October to April so don't really have the chance to do any work between then - it all starts again in April...

PattyMac":1628x92j said:
I did most of ours without incident but my other half volunteered to do some and there was bit of cleaning up to do afterwards :D
[/quote]

Presumably this was still your fault though?

Ooooh definitely.... must have been his fault....

Sorry, couldn't resist that!

BTW had anyone used this Cambridge Timber Reviver???

I'm a year further on with this topic and I thought I'd update people re what I decided on - perhaps it may help others like myself to decide.
I used the Cambridge Timber Reviver - was easy enough to apply with a brush and didn't change the colour of the beams - we decided to leave them a natural colour and they do look good. The Timber Reviver hopefully should "feed" them. Yes - it did smell a bit and it took probably a couple of weeks before we didn't come down in the morning and smell it - however, it wasn't a solvent-type smell - more like the wood which was smelling because it was wet.
I used a clear Ronseal varnish on the staircase and it's been brilliant. Easy to apply and drys quickly - isn't slippy - I have a springer with long claws and he's up and down it all the time but it hasn't marked and it doesn't show dusty footprints etc all the time.
Thanks everyone for the help - it was much apppreciated.

It's excellent to get follow up from much earlier posts.

Glad you're happy with the result.

Latest posts

Back