Powered Respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening

Hoping Santa will bring me a powered respirator this christmas but i need to nudge him in the right direction, what does everyone use for dust protection? they seem to vary massively in price from manufacturer to manufacturer and wondered what are some of the good ones.

Budget of about £150 - £200.

Thanks

I've got the Axminster one which has been fine so far. Just had a look and it is £219 now, which is a good £40 or £50 more than i paid last year. The Trend Airshield Pro has had some favourable comments on here and is in your budget. Can be had for less than £200

Even though the Axminster one does not have the same filtration specs as the trend I find it does the job just great as a hobby turner. There are a lot of people that say the trend can get a bit top heavy if turning for long periods.
I have the Axminster and find it comfortable to wear even for a complete days use. The battery charge does las a complete day as stated.

I use a record power air cleaner and a trend air shield. The air shield is great but I would say after a few hours of turning the weight does make my neck ache. Wouldn't be without a powered respirator now and it had wood chips hit the screen too. :shock:

I have a trend one, and it really does work. I find these days I am more easily irritated by wood dust than I used to be, the trend stops all of that.

+1 for the Trend.

I did have the Axminster respirator, which admittedly was a little more comfortable to wear for long periods compared to the Trend (due to placement of the battery), but when I found out that the Trend had double the level of protection for a bit less money it was a no brainer for me!

This post is also worth a shifty...
warning-all-apf10-axminster-powered-respirator-users-t106790.html

+1 for the Trend Airshield Pro. It also saved me when a very large lump of oak came off and hit me full in the face, so I’ve got a sort of soft spot for it :roll: gets a bit heavy and irritating after a while, but it’s worth putting up with.

just a heads up, on the problem of the trend airshield weight , from john and Manglitter, like i say i got mine very cheap 2nd hand, and found the battery had had its day and 50 odd quid for a new 1 was a bit steep, luckily i have a brother in law that is a electrician , and after a quick look at it he rigged up a 6 volt rechargeable battery from a burglar alarm he removed sometime ago , cut off the 3 pin plug off a the charger lead and soldered 2 quick fit ends on it to connect to battery and plug the other end into the air shield helmet, then with a old charger he had in his ample spares drawer cut the adaptor off and soldered 2 quick fit end to this, so when battery is flat you just take the 2 quick fit clips off it and connect to the charger, i put the battery in a bum bag round my waist i charged the battery for 24hrs then run the helmet continuous for 4.5 hrs before it went flat, don't forget this was a 2nd hand battery , luckily for me he had 2 more batteries the same so i always have 1 fully charged, i don't find the lead gets in the way as it runs up my back and into the rear of the helmet cost to me, a pint down the pub, and a lighter helmet to wear as the old battery is in the bin

Not 100% certain, but I don't think the Trend Airshield Pro is meant to run on 6 volts I think its a much lower voltage? could be an early retirement for the motor.

Mike

Well my battery is 3.6v from memory. Just bought a replacement at Harrogate last month. I very nearly rebuilt the battery pack (and might do in the future) with new cells, but since the battery has lasted me since 2009 I didn’t consider it owed me anything, so I bit the bullet!

+1 I have a number of single cell 3.6V LiIo to replace mine with, but have not had the need too yet.

Topcat, I can only think that your Trend Airshield is an early example, the recent Trend Airshield Pro is 3.6v.

Mike

Could not wait for Santa, The wood dust taste is not for me even with a good filter mask on. Also makes my eyes itch. So ordered Trend air pro from amazon £179.00 delivered free. not bothered with the ear defenders never sit flat with glasses on. Have to use them at work and they hurt my head force glasses into side of my head. Be here tomorrow.

tommo

Well Santa must have sublet the job out because white van man turned up at 9.30am this morning with new helmet.

Open up box checked all there few minuets it was together and on charge. Grand daughter thought it was new motorbike helmet and asked when new bike was arriving lol. I have given up on the 2 wheels now days . And it was scooters i rode not bikes.

tommo

They really are an excellent piece of kit, good protection easy to wear and the horrible taste in the mouth no longer happens, the air shield for want of a better word down the front of the face is most welcome on a hot day, cooler inside the helmet than outside, its a bonus.

Mike

Well tonight i got home down to shed battery was full charged now so decided to give it a road test. Sanded the handle i had made the other day. No taste of dust in mouth and no itchy eyes, Did think was cool air on my head but next time will put a hat on under it. As for noise i didn't notice it to busy watching what i was doing.
All in all very pleased with it. I will be fitting an extractor in the side wall of workshop while im off for 2 weeks over christmas.get rid of some more of the dust build up.

tommo

Latest posts

Back