Notes on Tyler Hardwoods @ Shalbourne, Marlborough

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about Tyler Hardwoods @ Shalbourne, Marlborough?
(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)
(To ADD a new yard/s please post here after checking that it is not already in the table.)

Are they hobby friendly?

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Will they deliver?

Do they have online ordering?

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Do they sell turning blanks?

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Do you have any comments?

Thanks for your help,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":1xd34e04 said:
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about Tyler Hardwoods @ Shalbourne, Marlborough?
(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)
(To ADD a new yard/s please post here after checking that it is not already in the table.)

Are they hobby friendly?

Not really, they're friendly enough but this is a very large, industrial scale yard.

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Yes, you can self select, but it's more geared to the larger buyer.

Will they deliver?

Yes

Do they have online ordering?

No

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Individual boards are not priced.

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Yes

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Yes

Do they sell softwoods?

Yes

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Don't think so.

Do they sell turning blanks?

No

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Very large

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Don't think so

Do you have any comments?

One of the best timber yards in the UK, superb quality and massive selection, but intimidating for the complete newbie. They'll happilly sell a single board but in truth they're not really geared up for small quantities. They stock some items that are very useful for furniture makers, such as Cedar of Lebanon in 15mm thick boards for shingles which are ideal for machining down for drawer bottoms, and probably the widest selection of super premium quality and highly figured British hardwood boards that you'll find anywhere.

Thanks for your help,
Neil

I have used them but as a small user I do find them a bit overwhelming. That said they were very friendly and helpful but that was some time ago, I can't speak for now.

Bill

They’ve always made me feel more than welcome - letting me sort through boards, chainsawing them up to fit in my car, showing me the kiln and having a natter about different timbers etc.
At a guess it’s because I always phone first to check that it’s OK to head over (and to find out prices!) - as Custard says, they’re a pretty large operation so I wouldn’t want to be in the way when a big order is being organised.

cowfoot":368cuxp7 said:
They’ve always made me feel more than welcome - letting me sort through boards, chainsawing them up to fit in my car, showing me the kiln and having a natter about different timbers etc.
At a guess it’s because I always phone first to check that it’s OK to head over (and to find out prices!) - as Custard says, they’re a pretty large operation so I wouldn’t want to be in the way when a big order is being organised.

That's good to know as a newb! It turns out they're only twenty minutes from me so I think I'll pay a visit.

I turned up there on spec to just find out what they did about 8 years ago and whilst they did find someone to show me round after a bit, they did make it fairly clear that I should have phoned first but the huge selection and quantity impressed me and I did go back after phoning with an order. They were happy for me to sort through boards and they will give advice but apparently not on ABW.

This was my first ABW project and I learned the hard way just how much sapwood comes with ABW but that was no fault of Tylers.

A good yard clearly set up for big orders. Worth phoning ahead and not sure how they would react to someone wanted a single board? I bought several cu ft.

I used Tylers a couple of years ago for some quarter sawn oak (about £200 worth).

I had already spoken on the phone to a very helpful man (turned out to be the boss!) and when I got there they were incredibly helpful. Selection from a giant stack of boards and then initial machining for me at a modest cost.

Would undoubtedly use them again but as has been said a phone call first makes a lot of difference.

I suspect they would sell you a single board if that's all you wanted.

stuartpaul":p1mzivfy said:
I suspect they would sell you a single board if that's all you wanted.

I'm sure they would, but I'd still feel a bit guilty if I took much time to pick over a lot of stock for one board.

Instead I'd possibly go to Surrey timbers for a single board as you can wander round unsupervised for as long as you like as well as get help if you need it.

Quick update to this notes section.
Tyler now have a small selection of individually priced timbers at the top of the yard near the office. These are the individual oddities and offcuts from milling and production I guess. There is some smaller bits of really nice timber here ideaI if you jut want a small bit. I bought a fabulous bit of rippled Sycamore from this section and a bit of Cherry when I went to get a bunch of oak for something else.

Ollie

Hello,

I have info that would come under "hobby friendly?"

I use Tyler Hardwoods a lot, and within the last year or two, they've introduced a small wood shop stocked with smaller sized boards and off-cuts that are all individually priced. There's always a good selection on offer and it's more accessible to hobbyists than the main yard.

Hope this is helpful.

George

Back