Planer/Thicknesser on a budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Barto":2kj8ee7t said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Kity 1647 & 638? There's one of each on eBay from the same seller and fairly local to me but can't find a whole lot of info out there about them. I know that the 1647 has a 3 cutter block and can plane up to 12 inches. Both run off 13amp - bonus!

One day this topic will be long forgotten but it doesn't look like it'll be short of replacements by the look of things...

Bumping this. Anyone got any info?

A google search on each should bring you some results, but a three blade block will give a finer finish than a two blade block, but has the added hassle of having to set up three blades, most people don't even like setting up two.

Mike

MikeJhn":1hb39al3 said:
A google search on each should bring you some results, but a three blade block will give a finer finish than a two blade block, but has the added hassle of having to set up three blades, most people don't even like setting up two.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I did Google them but couldn't find much info, at least not in the way of reviews or user experiences and what have you. It's mainly just links to buy blades. In fact I only found one useful topic (an old one on here) for the 1647. :x

From what I can gather, they're very similar machines. The 1647 might have an advantage by not requiring both planer tables to be lifted when switched to thicknessing, instead only one needs to be moved. The guy selling them says that the 638 has a longer bed at 61 inches, but in the photos they look fairly similar to me :?

Perhaps a re-think is required, consider a few of questions:
1. What width of timber do I need to plane flat, and get a square edge on?
2. What is the maximum depth of timber I need to thickness?
3. What is the maximum length of timber I will use in the machine? this can be compensated for with infeed and outfeed extension tables.
4. Do I have enough room for a large machine?

Once you have answered these honestly, not what you think you need LOL you may be able to set your sights a bit lower and find a cheap second hand unit, I have a small old Kitty 439 and in all honesty have not needed anything bigger, not that I may in the future, but it has served me excellently up to now and was great to learn on, no beds to move to convert to thickening and the way I have it set up I do not get any snipe, which seems to be a regular problem with most set ups?

Mike

MikeJhn":2r2dlduq said:
Perhaps a re-think is required, consider a few of questions:
1. What width of timber do I need to plane flat, and get a square edge on?
2. What is the maximum depth of timber I need to thickness?
3. What is the maximum length of timber I will use in the machine? this can be compensated for with infeed and outfeed extension tables.
4. Do I have enough room for a large machine?

Once you have answered these honestly, not what you think you need LOL you may be able to set your sights a bit lower and find a cheap second hand unit, I have a small old Kitty 439 and in all honesty have not needed anything bigger, not that I may in the future, but it has served me excellently up to now and was great to learn on, no beds to move to convert to thickening and the way I have it set up I do not get any snipe, which seems to be a regular problem with most set ups?

Mike

Hmm no I don't think much of a rethink is required and I'm not sure my sights are set particularly high with either of these machines, they're pretty basic. They look like they'll sell for reasonable money and they're within a 45 minute drive from me. They're also both "cheap second hand units". If it's between either of these and a used **260 variant which are around the same price, I think it's a no brainer.

But to answer your questions:

1. Right off the bat I have a piece of wood just under 30cm wide that at some point I'd like to use and I can see myself using more pieces of around that width. And even if I don't do it very often, I'm sure it'll be useful having that extra couple of inches for the times that I do. :duno:

2 & 3. Depth and length aren't so much of an issue but again, I'm sure the extra capacity would come in useful.

4. Yes.

Surely if it's within budget it makes sense to go for the highest spec'd machine? :-k

That's great, if you have asked/answered all of those questions to yourself and the conclusion is for a 300mm machine then so be it, if you have the room and its within budget then go for it. :D

Mike

Just a quick rant here. The two Kity p/t’s I mentioned reached the end of their auctions this week (one ends this afternoon). The first went for the very reasonable price of £390 - unfortunately I didn’t get it because I messaged he seller some questions about it and he didn’t respond until after it ended. What good does that do me you .. I’d have bought it if he’d replied sooner... and in his reply he moaned about it selling for too little. Firstly I don’t care and secondly it’s your own fault for setting a starting price you didn’t actually want!!!! Ffs.

Now the second one is coming to an end and the guy messages me this morning some vague nonsense about ending the listing early due to lack of bids. I replied and asked if it was no longer for sale to which he replied “we’ll see later today”. Which basically means that if he doesn’t get enough money for it he won’t sell it. Hmm that’s not how auctions work is it. Again, why set the starting price at a number you’re not happy with and waste everyone’s time? This guy is really p*ssing me off.

Rant over. Thanks.

El Barto":pjuo6mot said:
Just a quick rant here. The two Kity p/t’s I mentioned reached the end of their auctions this week (one ends this afternoon). The first went for the very reasonable price of £390 - unfortunately I didn’t get it because I messaged he seller some questions about it and he didn’t respond until after it ended. What good does that do me you .. I’d have bought it if he’d replied sooner... and in his reply he moaned about it selling for too little. Firstly I don’t care and secondly it’s your own fault for setting a starting price you didn’t actually want!!!! Ffs.

Now the second one is coming to an end and the guy messages me this morning some vague nonsense about ending the listing early due to lack of bids. I replied and asked if it was no longer for sale to which he replied “we’ll see later today”. Which basically means that if he doesn’t get enough money for it he won’t sell it. Hmm that’s not how auctions work is it. Again, why set the starting price at a number you’re not happy with and waste everyone’s time? This guy is really p*ssing me off.

Rant over. Thanks.

I tracked some Kitys a few months ago.
In most cases they were "sold" only to be re-listed a week later. One item was sold and resisted four times before I gave up looking at it.
I know what you mean about unhelpful sellers.
I asked one to confirm the model number of the Kity he was selling because there appeared to be a couple of anomalies but the reply was utter garbage which made me wonder about the provenance of the machine he was selling.

Inoffthered":32aqhv18 said:
El Barto":32aqhv18 said:

Rant over. Thanks.

I tracked some Kitys a few months ago.
In most cases they were "sold" only to be re-listed a week later. One item was sold and resisted four times before I gave up looking at it.
I know what you mean about unhelpful sellers.
I asked one to confirm the model number of the Kity he was selling because there appeared to be a couple of anomalies but the reply was utter garbage which made me wonder about the provenance of the machine he was selling.

Annoying ain’t it. I don’t really understand the mentality of unhelpful sellers. I bet they make awful friends. What p/t did you go for in the end?

Lil update on this for anyone who cares. I managed to sell a couple of things so increased my budget slightly, this bought me a Startrite SD310. It can be run on a 13 amp plug and is the three cutter version. It's being sold by a small joinery company in Devon and looks like it's been well looked after. Also comes with spare set of blades and an outfeed table so that's nice. Not only that but I have a mate going to Devon in his van tomorrow so blagged a free lift (well as good as free) and a spare pair of hands. Serendipitous.

Now I just need to get hold of a manual, anyone got one knocking about?

I always wonder about these wonderful Startrite machines, there seems to be an awful lot of them for sale at any one time, if they are so wonderful, why is a joinery company selling it, not a question just a thought.

Mike

MikeJhn":2iv4ggm4 said:
I always wonder about these wonderful Startrite machines, there seems to be an awful lot of them for sale at any one time, if they are so wonderful, why is a joinery company selling it, not a question just a thought.

Mike

The guy was selling up bis entire shop! Gave me an Axminster extractor for £50 too. Nice chap.

Latest posts

Back