Which filler to use please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a Greene & Greene type jewellery box / chest out of mahogany which I plan to french polish, or at least go for some other glossy surface.
I will need to fill the grain and as this is the first time I've used mahogany I thought I'd better ask for some advice as to the best type / colour of finish to use.
The wood is: -
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg

The colour I'm aiming for is something like this chest made by Darrell Peat so I have an idea as to how to get to something like this colour but don't know about what base filler I need to use.
gallery_bedroom_blanket_chest2-1.jpg

Any thoughts, suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 631
  • gallery_bedroom_blanket_chest2-1.jpg
    gallery_bedroom_blanket_chest2-1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 631
Thanks Custard.
I realised that I will need to finish this before final assembly and hence I was looking for filler at this early stage.
The one good thing about it is that G & G used screws to secure the joints (OK and a dab of glue) so at least I can do a full trial assembly and some adjustments before finishing and assembly.
But yes, things such as polishing the domes of the pegs and how I’ll fix the base need to be thought through.
Probably a good exercise for me in terms of discipline as I have been known to be a bit careless with components after joint cutting and before assembly and this time I won’t be able to correct any self inflicted dings!

Back