veritas jointer blade sharpening jig - 8" maximum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a jig to sharpen 10" jointer blades.

The veritas one -

05M2501L.jpg

...looks the kind of thing, but the specs say 8" maximum. This seems odd, as id think most jointer blades are longer than that, but, still - im wondering if there are similar by other companies (that ive not found on my searches) or if hanging the blade out of the veritas by an inch each side (if that's even possible?) would work?

Thank you,
Julian

Orraloon":24p3h7ld said:
It's quite easy to make one yourself and costs nothing. I made a 13'' one so it does the jointer and also the thicknesser blades.
https://www.oriolesoutsider.com/16125/p ... ening-jig/

Regards
John
Can be even simpler with just two TS saw kerfs of right thickness, in a block. If they are just a push fit the blades stay in situ whilst you are using it.

jointer-planer-knife-sharpening-jig.jpg

The veritas model is pretty stupid and very expensive. Nice brass knobs though!

PS you can just perk them up a bit a few times freehand, without any jig at all.

I have seen a version of the wooden block where someone cut a double width grove in one side, but without that, i feel that working with a 3 blade set would be awkward?

I dont really understand why the veritas unit isnt longer - it seems that a great number of machines are greater than 8" width.

julianf":20dgm9c4 said:
I have seen a version of the wooden block where someone cut a double width grove in one side, but without that, i feel that working with a 3 blade set would be awkward?..
You'd swap them around so that that they were all getting about the same treatment. A bit tedious, but possible.
It's only a standby - eventually you'd have to take them off to be machined.

I dont really understand why the veritas unit isnt longer - it seems that a great number of machines are greater than 8" width.
It'd still be usable, but I wouldn't bother - the DIY two blade options above are far more efficient.

How come it cant all be DIY?

I see people doing all sorts of things with hand plane blades - i know these are longer and so its going to be harder, and they all need to be done roughly the same for balancing, but im wondering why it cant all be done in the workshop?

Im new, so i just dont know, hence asking! : )

julianf":6o54g0mc said:
How come it cant all be DIY?

I see people doing all sorts of things with hand plane blades - i know these are longer and so its going to be harder, and they all need to be done roughly the same for balancing, but im wondering why it cant all be done in the workshop?

Im new, so i just dont know, hence asking! : )
It could be all DIY but they are big so it would take a long time and they need to be well balanced as they are spinning fast. Being out of balance would eventually strain the bearings, cause vibrations and cut badly.

The tool merchants want you to buy more tools so there is a short set for jointers and a long set for thicknessers. Even with the costly jigs you can still end up with unbalanced blades. Trick is to be able to spot this. Both blades stood side by side same height then reasonably balanced. Same goes for three. Even if you only sharpen the blades one time then you have saved the cost of a set of blades. I have an old jointer from the 1950tes and have sharpened the blades many many times and check now and then they are all about equal stood side by side. Had it about 10 years now. My new thickie has slot in blades with no adjustment so can only get a couple of sharpens out of those. That gets me 3 times or more the life out of throw away blades. When you sharpen often then you are not doing a major grind but just a hone.
Treat your machine blades like handplane and chisel blades. They will love you back.
Regards
John

Back