Meddings Driltru Mark II / Respect to Meddings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try wiring it up to something you know works, table lamp, your hair straighteners, anything at all and that will let you know if it's faulty or not.

Hot stuff":lt06fevs said:
Try wiring it up to something you know works, table lamp, your hair straighteners, anything at all and that will let you know if it's faulty or not.

Good idea I'll fire up my hair straighteners now! :-k

Looking at the spec on the switch Uc (the control voltage, the voltage that the relay coil operates at) is 220-240v. I would expect a designed in margin of at least 10 to 15 % on that so unless your supply is dipping below 200v when you switch on your machine its a duff coil. If the voltage is dipping to such a degree that its preventing operation it would definitely be worth looking at the supply wiring arrangements in the workshop.

Dumb question: Mike Jhn touched on this too: are you sure you had in and out wired correctly. The switch will only work one way round, otherwise the relay cannot latch.

Unless it is faulty I don't think the voltage thing is relevant - I suspect the higher voltage listed is peak not the RMS value (which is 240 approx here).

The voltage thing is very relevant to the latching of a relay if you have a shed at the bottom of your garden and run a domestic extension lead 100m to the shed.

Mike

MikeJhn":2y10al3c said:
The voltage thing is very relevant to the latching of a relay if you have a shed at the bottom of your garden and run a domestic extension lead 100m to the shed.

Mike

It shouldn't be, within reasonable bounds.

And you evidently didn't read what I said. I've had stuff from the Far East which lists peak voltages rather than RMS values. I suspect this is another example. In any case relay coils don't care if they see AC or DC, although the cores might.

Reversing the connections to the switch OTOH, the "IN" and "out" sides, will give exactly the symptoms described.

Back