The MkII Paul Sellers Workbench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Established Member
Reaction score
With perfect timing for my re-entry into learning woodworking as a complete beginner, I saw a few weeks back that Paul Sellers was releasing a new series on his Woodworking Masterclasses website, and Youtube, free of charge, showing how to build a revised version of his workbench, which features a single top and well, and various changes to dimensions and joints.

So, always being one of those idiots that love to jump in at the deep end and see how fast I sink (or, possibly, swim), I decided to make this my first EVER proper piece I'll make (not counting little things like a sharpening plate holder and spatula, or cobbled together stuff like my scrollsaw stand). Although my workshop is far from fully kitted out yet, I felt I had enough to make a decent start, and hopefully work alongside the release of each episode in the series.

I may well end up seeking advice in this thread as I go along, and there may be a hiatus while I get a bandsaw sorted out soon, but all being well I'll keep progressing nicely. I'll welcome any comments and criticism, as I've got no-one in person to rebuke me for getting things wrong... (hammer)

Building a workbench without a workbench is obviously always interesting, but luckily I had bought a couple of 'Jawhorse' clamping trestles last year during a Homebase clearance sale, and they are proving to be worth their weight in gold.

Ok, here goes:

Picking up the timber needed from Davies Timber in Wythall, Birmingham (who I can highly recommend):

hGuvh1z.jpg

The same pile of wood now on the workshop floor:

L6HVfv9.jpg

Gratuitous plane shot - I tried several sizes for squaring and flattening the bench top stud timber, and ended up finding the 5 1/2 (size 15 in Millers Falls models) gave about the best result for me.

3haFPvw.jpg

dUWAwyl.jpg

For laminating the bench top I used 3 x 2 C24 Scant, which rather unfortunately is slightly larger in depth than the recommended 63mm x 38mm 3 x 2 C16 CLS - so currently my laminated bench top is a little wider than it should be, oh well. Here the boards are clamped up after gluing - the Jawhorse clamps really helped here too.

G99yI9f.jpg

After laminating, planing the whole surface as one - here's a before and after shot.

DRZuWkR.jpg

GkMKO0r.jpg

Finally in the bench top preparation, cutting to length, 66" in this version. I marked all round with a knife and chiselled out a small groove to keep the saw aligned.
Oh, and you didn't see that nasty ol' hardpoint saw, it's your imagination. My newly ordered traditional Spear and Jackson hadn't arrived then, and I haven't got around to sharpening any of my old saws yet, so this, bought before I knew any better, did the job nicely.

MheVgU4.jpg

excellent - I love a bench build, and will be interested to hear how Mr Sellers has modified the design of his bench too. Top marks for the MF plane also - once you have tried their fabulous lever caps you wish all your planes had one :)

Perfect timing, I was calling some suppliers today about the wood for mine! Always a pleasure to see someone else cock it up before I do :lol:

One question, why 66" when you had another 6" on there that was perfectly fine?

Wasn't looking at CLS for mine just because of having to plane down the roundovers.

Also, if you sign up to his woodworking masterclass site, you get the video a week earlier than youtube and it's still free. They also ended up emailing me and offering a month sub to the rest of the paid content for £1.20 which was impossible to say no to.

EDIT: You're in the Woo too? Small world! Did you sort a vice yet only I won 2 Record 52 1/2s on ebay for £77 :D

nabs":13lmsalb said:
Top marks for the MF plane also - once you have tried their fabulous lever caps you wish all your planes had one :)

Great planes aren't they? Mind you, after much tweaking I even got my WoodRiver Chinesey thing planing really well and taking lovely translucent shavings, so I reckon a lot is down to fettling, too. But yes, that MF lever cap is a sound design.

DBT85":13lmsalb said:
Perfect timing, I was calling some suppliers today about the wood for mine! Always a pleasure to see someone else cock it up before I do :lol:

One question, why 66" when you had another 6" on there that was perfectly fine?

Wasn't looking at CLS for mine just because of having to plane down the roundovers.

Haha, oh yes, I fully anticipate several cocking it up moments ahead!

I took it down to 66" because the apron timber is only just long enough for that, but also, not visible in the photo, in that last few inches on the underside was a stonking great split in one of the studs, so it made sense to keep to the plan, really.

I did find that the roundovers came down very quickly what with the initial planing before laminating and then another session after - they look virtually like square edge now.

I have a couple of vices stashed away somewhere, a Woden 189 B/2 (same as Record 52 1/2) and a Record 53A - will see which fits better once it's all assembled!

I was just going to comment on nabs' excellent workbench build WIP and I find that not one, but two others are at it too! I've ordered the timber for mine today. Not a Paul Sellers or a trad English, just something I know I'll be able to use for what I do - but it seems to be the season for bench building!

I hope your builds go well NickN and DBT85. I'll be watching closely.

Wouldn't mind seeing your cut list if you still have it. The Sellers one is only listing the final dimensions but obviously it's all laminates. I'll probably sketchup one before I order anyway but handy to get an idea at least.

Sure thing, here's the cut list based on the sizes and lengths that Davies Timber had available. In reality I ended up with one or two a little shorter (aprons) and longer (bearer) as it just happened to match odd lengths they had, and anything over 2.4m I had cut in half, the halves (or divisions thereof) still work out fine for the lengths needed in the bench requirements.

TOP: 50x75 NOMINAL = CLS 3.6m x 4 (C24 Scant, actual size 43x69)
LEGS: 75x100 NOMINAL = REDWOOD PSE 4.2m x 1 (actual size 70 x 95)
WELL: 38x175 NOMINAL = REDWOOD PSE 3.6m x 1 (actual size 33x170)
APRON: 50x150 NOMINAL = REDWOOD PSE 3.6m x 2 (actual size 45 x 145)
RAILS: 50x175 NOMINAL = REDWOOD PSE 3.0m x 1 (actual size 45x170)
BEARER: 50x100 NOMINAL = REDWOOD PSE 2.4m x 1 (actual size 45x95)
WEDGES: TBC

Looks good so far.

Looking at the picture of trimming the end off, are you left handed? I'm right handed but would find it easier to stand the other side and have the offcut to my right.
If you are right handed but can saw straight with the waste to the left or the right, that's a useful knack to have and maintain.

Perfect thanks.

I'll probably do a model first and see what mine comes out at and then call before I head up to see what they have!

AndyT":2us5b6ws said:
Looking at the picture of trimming the end off, are you left handed? I'm right handed but would find it easier to stand the other side and have the offcut to my right.
If you are right handed but can saw straight with the waste to the left or the right, that's a useful knack to have and maintain.

I'm right handed but can saw a nice wonky line just as wonkily whether the waste is to the left or right :lol: But no in all seriousness I don't find it bothers me which side is waste, hadn't really thought about it, but in a situation like this it was handy to grab the waste piece in my left hand to reduce the risk of tearing of the underside.

I have tried sawing left handed and it worked reasonably well too but not my preferred choice.

Looking to build a bench next and thought about using CLS too.. although my local wood yard (Brooks Bros) will sell me Euro Redwood for not a lot more.. Worth going for Redwood over CLS wood (Spruce?)?

Yes, the first bench was square edged 2 x 4, the new version is rounded 2 x 3 - quite why I don't know but can guess that it might be a combination of keeping weight reasonable, costs lower and possibly also with the new way of tongue and grooving the well board into the bench top the old version had too much depth.

Looking good. I built my "Sellers bench" earlier this year as a beginner too, it was a great learning experience. It did feel a bit overwhelming at times but once it's done it's a damn good feeling.

I started out with CLS and QUICKLY realised that planing all the round edges down to flat and square was going to suck. So started again with PAR. First lesson learned...

Update will be coming in a few days - my work shifts have interfered recently #-o I make a point of NOT woodworking after a tiring shift, tiredness can too easily lead to mistakes or accidents.

Still, it's work wot pays for the hobby so, can't grumble too much :D

Latest posts

Back