Which bandsaw for budget of £250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a bandsaw just for small work in a convinced shed I've found 3 which are within range but how good are they really ?
They are...
SCHEPPACH BASA 1.0
RECORD POWER BS250
AXMINSTER 250N
I had looked at the new 9" by RP ? Any flaws and faults plus and minus
If there any other machines in the market are in my budget range please comment

I've had an Axminster 350n (big brother of the 250n) for many years with no problems.
Axminster have very good customer service. Record give a 5 year guarantee.

And i've had the big brother of the Record for many years with no bother. Think either the Record or the Axy would be a decent buy.

I have the Record 250 and am very happy with it

Relatively easy to maintain and does what I need of it

Cheers all it's looking like the RP I think I could do with some one with into on the basa1 is the price difference really worth it?

gaci":2drknyun said:
Cheers all it's looking like the RP I think I could do with some one with into on the basa1 is the price difference really worth it?
I wouldn't recommend the Axy. I had one. It isn't terrible, but it isn't the best either. I think the Axy Hobby stuff can be fine, but it's worth paying a bit more for the RP in this instance.

Not sure about the Scheppach. I actually bought a Scheppach Basa 3 to replace the Axy 250, and it is based on an old Kity design (Scheppach bought Kity) and it is pretty solid, although not perfect. I think the smaller model is more of a budget affair, and possibly not quite up to the RP standard, but haven't used one, so couldn't say. With Scheppach, a lot of their budget stuff is very patchy, with large gap in quality to their more pro Basa/Precisa range.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

gaci":6u6kf3x2 said:
RECORD POWER BS250
Exactly the one I have, bought it just a month back.

Really pleased with it, setup was very smooth (and I'm a total beginner), the pre-installed chuck (the instructions said it'd be separate) kept felling out, screwfix sorted a replacement chuck right away and it's been great since, feel free to ask any questions. Perhaps mine was part assembled, or even a returned one; but it's spotless and works a treat.

(later) gosh yes, am mixing my machinery, pardon my madness - the chuck was the titan drill press, you know, the one with the waffle making attachment :) - please ignore that bit !! (left in for comic effect...)

5 year guarantee too, and a lovely British racing greenish. It's also installable solo (somewhere it says you need 2 people but the top bit isn't all that heavy), and I'm not a beefy chap.

I watched the below on youtube along the way of learning about band saws, a bloke called Alex Snodgrass; an excellent and hugely informative presentation with some impressive work at the end. Brilliant for a beginner but I bet there are tips for old hands too, I should re-watch it now I've actually used one !

The camera work isn't ideal, but bear with it, the content makes up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

My bandsaw doesn't have a chuck, am I missing out on something?

Personally I would go with the Axi at that price point, just because it has proper bearing guides oriented as they should be, the rubbing blocks on the Record grate with me, don't get me wrong I have the Record Power 350 with the bearings off the Axi bandsaw fitted to it.

Mike

I have a Basa 1., IU got it from Srewfix when they had a sale on for £90. For the money it is perfectly capable of doing what I wanted it for if a little slow at times. The blade supplied is utter carp but once you get some decent ones from elsewhere, it's a good bit of kit. It cuts metal, plastic and wood without any probs really but can struggle on hardwood over 40mm at times if it is pushed. Dust clearance is fine with a good extractor. Only thing I found really annoying was the bolt for the bottom of the door was overly long and fine threaded so took a day and a half to open the sodding thing, sorted with a hacksaw :).
I mainly cut small section veneer and inlay pieces with it, you do need to take your time as the the widest blade you can fit is limited but gets great curves and once set up properly you don't get drift on straight cuts. Quiet most of the time but can be a bit squeely on oak i've found but that may just be the blade I have. Guides are ok if a bit cheap. but you can get nice bearing types that fit

hth

Err, I have the Record 250 and I can assure you it has bearings top and bottom ;-)

MikeJhn":1pl6173e said:
My bandsaw doesn't have a chuck, am I missing out on something?

Personally I would go with the Axi at that price point, just because it has proper bearing guides oriented as they should be, the rubbing blocks on the Record grate with me, don't get me wrong I have the Record Power 350 with the bearings off the Axi bandsaw fitted to it.

Mike

whatknot":exmu9do0 said:
Err, I have the Record 250 and I can assure you it has bearings top and bottom ;-)

Just checked the manual and indeed it does, I apologies for thinking it was the same as the 350 & 400, seems the BS250 is better specified than the more expensive models?

Mike

Back