Tic Toc!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Established Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd start something like this but very glad I did! Saw a wooden clock on line and thought, I wonder.......

So downloaded some plans from that master clock designer and maker Brian Law http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk and started the build. Of course I also had to buy a scroll saw and "mini" lathe :lol:

Just finished roughing out the thirteen gears........................

Attachments

• IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,158
The escapement is the hard part. get that working and the rest is a walk in the park.

Blimey how big is the clock going to be? if those are the cogs it must be like Big Ben lol

Well, a warning for others! When I mounted one of the big gears on its shaft I immediately realised that it wasn't round, there was a "bump" in it of about 2-3mm!
I immediately checked all the others and they are fine phew!
What must have happened was when I glued the template onto the wood with water based glue, it got pretty wet and I must have "stretchedI it slightly in one direction!
Not a disaster, I've sanded down the teeth in the bump and re cut the gaps between the teeth and it runs just fine - thank goodness. Be more careful next time.

Getting towards the initial assembly of the clock and just making up the "face".
So, the question is, using Roman numerals, which way up should the bottom half numbers be. On the clocks we have around the house, and in fact on Big Ben (I know, it's actually the bell not the clock), the bottom half numerals are upside down. I quite like the idea of them being up the right way.
What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_3335.jpg
    IMG_3335.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 515
The upper rather than the lower. It's just weird going from 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock and having a 180 degree switch of orientation.

Glad you were able to save that gear caveman. Phew indeed!

Interesting about the Roman numerals. I've no idea what's really "correct"/"incorrect", but purely personally, I rather like the look of the lower set up. BUT I have to agree with the poster above, the 4 and 8 numerals do look a bit weird in the lower pic.

In short "dunno"! ("ask me one on sport").

AES

I didn't read the question and just looked at the two versions assuming the choice was between dark or light. It didn't even register that the numerals were orientated differently, so I'd say maybe it makes no difference/ both are equally good?

monkeybiter":3vokrqpb said:
IIRC it is the convention on clocks to depict 4 as IIII to avoid confusion with 6.

Yes, for those people that CAN tell the time, but think 6 comes between 3 and 5 :-D

The escapement wheel and mechanism was quite a challenge but looking good!

Attachments

• IMG_3351.jpg
    IMG_3351.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 239
Back