Passive dehumidifier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 4 passive dehumidifiers courtesy of the Conservation Rooflight Company. Would rather have an electric one and better insulated windows though. The are very well made windows and have double glazing but steel frames and steel central divider that the opening mechanism is fixed to. The central divider which is a fabulous cold bridge to the outside collects condensation like billiow then it trickles down the window and drips onto the floor. Brilliant design! They also have a drain which lets some of the condensate drain to the outside and if we ever get a real cold snap makes some great ice features on the roof outside.

Give me a wooden Velux any day but the combination of a stubborn architect and stupid planning rules put pay to that.

Bad design! But 'ice features on the roof outside' prove that they are working.
Timber Velux are better as dehumidifiers, until it freezes.
The old lead pipes in our place were about 1/2" diameter. My copper alternatives are 10mm so probably the same bore. To avoid freezing they've got to drain well and only be as long as necessary. They have frozen in the past but never for long and not enough to cause a flood - I guess mainly because, by the time its cold enough to freeze, the absolute humidity is falling rapidly.

I wonder if passive dehumidification would help all those chaps in sheds with rusty machines. Would thin steel would do it the same? Don't see why not. The critical thing would be controlled ventilation - no point in drying the air if it is too rapidly replaced by humid fresh air.

Beau":mo5qwg47 said:
......Give me a wooden Velux any day but the combination of a stubborn architect and stupid planning rules put pay to that.

Why would that be the architect's fault? Listed Buildings officers will not tolerate Veluxes (well, they do have a top-hung flat-to-the-roof model which is acceptable), so why is it the architects fault if he tells you that?

I yield to no man in my interest, fascination even, in the laws of physics.

But all this blather about humidity, relative humidity and dew points misses the key point.

We're talking about a window running with condensation. Relabelling it (amusingly) a "passive dehumidifier", and fitting a drain, no matter how beatifully crafted, doesn't alter the fact that this is a window that is not working well.

BugBear

bugbear":3qqhgnw2 said:
I yield to no man in my interest, fascination even, in the laws of physics.

But all this blather about humidity, relative humidity and dew points misses the key point.

We're talking about a window running with condensation. Relabelling it (amusingly) a "passive dehumidifier", and fitting a drain, no matter how beatifully crafted, doesn't alter the fact that this is a window that is not working well.

BugBear
It is a window working as a passive dehumidifier. Don't worry about it BB. :lol:

John Brown":1bpkcwl8 said:
@bugbear: I still want to know where your office is situated, such that the outside temperature is measured in C and the inside uses F.
It's obviously right on the US/Canadian border...

BugBear (not telling the truth, a little)

Jacob":3rlg7cg4 said:
It is a window working as a passive dehumidifier.
Of course it is. And this is the good ship "Sea River Mediterranean:"
aa.jpg

Passive dehumidifier, working well
ph.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 439
  • ph.jpg
    ph.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 384
bugbear":ah6zuwc4 said:
Jacob":ah6zuwc4 said:
It is a window working as a passive dehumidifier.
Of course it is. And this is the good ship "Sea River Mediterranean:"

BugBear
Very interesting BB.
Have you had a hard night or something? Tossing and turning?

John Brown":yu36a0ee said:
@bugbear: I still want to know where your office is situated, such that the outside temperature is measured in C and the inside uses F.

Maybe it is 2017 outside but still 1960 inside?

MikeG.":2l7aujvl said:
Beau":2l7aujvl said:
......Give me a wooden Velux any day but the combination of a stubborn architect and stupid planning rules put pay to that.

Why would that be the architect's fault? Listed Buildings officers will not tolerate Veluxes (well, they do have a top-hung flat-to-the-roof model which is acceptable), so why is it the architects fault if he tells you that?

Because he assured me they were the only ones the planners would except but turns out they except the conservation Velux. It could have been an honest mistake but it leaves us with some rather frustration rooflights.

Back