Finish for discoloured sweet chestnut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
The stain runs through the wood and looks pretty unpleasant.
_MG_6540.jpg

I'm happy to darken the wood (that was the original plan) but I don't want to lose the grain/ natural look - but do want to lose the grey discolouration. Is that possible?! I've tried Dulux Woodsheen in a couple of colours but it looks unnatural, and I've tried regular varnish but it just looks the same with varnish on. Has anyone tried Osmo Polyx Oil Tints? Might one of those work? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• _MG_6540.jpg
    _MG_6540.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,024
Sorry, I'm not clear what you're hoping to achieve here. Are you trying to match some new chestnut to something else made of chestnut?

Sorry Mike - I'm trying to find a way to 'lose' the discolouration in the wood while maintaining to grain. The Woodsheen stuff did that but I think it doesn't look a good product (ugly stains, really).
_MG_6542.jpg

This is a test strip - BLO, clear varnish and Woodsheen (antique pine). Woodsheen Rich Mahogany certainly covers up the discolouration but looks naff, I think.
The Osmo tint looks like it could work but just wondered if anyone had used it. I also found reference to tinted Danish oil and wondered about that.

Or should I just put it with the rest of the firewood?!

Thanks.

Attachments

• _MG_6542.jpg
    _MG_6542.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,006
Mile,

If you zoom in on the last picture you can see it. There is a couple of light patches and a yellow stain.

Comparison might help. Here are two sections from the same board, one affected, the other not.
_MG_6543.jpg

Quite a lot of the board has discolouration and it's not just on the surface, so I'm stuck with it.

Attachments

• _MG_6543.jpg
    _MG_6543.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 990
I had been wondering that - I've seen a few people do it on the forum but it does look a bit complex/ difficult. But it could be a good solution - the chestnut is for table legs and the top's lovely white maple, so the contrast could look great.
I'm going to try a couple of the osmo tint test sachets to see how it works and will include their Black tint - if it looks good I might use that. If not, I might bite the bullet and give the method you suggest a go.

Many thanks

C

Back