bowl blank log cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a pdf explaining how to cut a log into pieces for bowl blanks etc .
it basically split the logs into semi circles and then split the centre into planks, discarding the core.

I cant find it anywhere on my computers or the web.

do any members have a copy or could point me in the right direction please?

I have a couple of friendly tree surgeons who insist on cutting logs into rings and insist they can be turned into bowls!

thanks in advance

moby":1uji6mct said:
I had a pdf explaining how to cut a log into pieces for bowl blanks etc .
it basically split the logs into semi circles and then split the centre into planks, discarding the core.

I cant find it anywhere on my computers or the web.

do any members have a copy or could point me in the right direction please?

I have a couple of friendly tree surgeons who insist on cutting logs into rings and insist they can be turned into bowls!

thanks in advance

I have been given some rings to turn also. I do have a question that has puzzled me for some time.... when does a bowl become a goblet ?? I have turned wet fig tree wood into little goblets, they warp, twist and split like something out of a tolkien picture,,,actually quite cute :)
I have a theory that if you turn rings well centred as pipes (ie hole all the way through) then glue them to plywood they would be relatively stable.

First i have seen on this, quite fascinating seeing it laid out. I did know some of it from tube vids but this is much better. I tend to buy logs and cut them up rather than buy blanks as i like the natural wood. I especially like natural edged bowls, they just make me feel better, strange i know.

Thanks for the link i have save it in my ever getting bigger of things about turning.

moby":25d3b9yj said:

thanks in advance

They can be, but its not the norm. Try and politely educate them and tell them that bowls grow sideways! The maximum width of a bowl is equal to the thickness of their 'slice'. :)

Back