Lathe advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkieT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Due to separating from my wife and having to down size the workshop to a small shed I am looking for a small variable speed lathe. I had a variable speed Union graduate which I had to leave behind but mainly turned pens and other small items.
The 2 lathes I have short listed so far are a Axminster AT1416vs and a Jet JWL 1221vs but would love to hear about any others I should consider, the lathe will need to be stand mounted.
Cheers in advance

Sorry to hear about that Yorkie, always a traumatic experience.

I got back into turning a few years ago and bought the little Jet 1014 single speed which is a nice little machine and have kept it since buying the Axi 1416vs which I've had for a couple of years. I turn mainly pens and other small stuff but it's good quality and does everything I want it to do.

Bob

Looking at the specifications the 2 points that the Jet outscores the Axi is on weight & bed length. Unless you know that you need that extra length, which can be handy for drilling, then the 1416VS has a larger swing, movable controls & a 1" toolpost stem.

Both brands have a good reputation.

As the owner of an AT1628vs, I may be slightly biased, but the AT1416vs is the slightly better machine IMHO.

Thanks for the good wishes and advice both on here and via pm's guys, much appreciated.
I think I will go for the axi 1416vs, just need to sort the shed out now :shock:

I bought a 1416 in July last year and have been really pleased with it.
Not sure how close you are to an Axy store but I called in to my nearest one just to have a closer look and a play and was offered the demonstration machine at 10% off but with a full warranty. I cheekily asked if they would give me 10% off a new base and they agreed! Might be worth asking if there are any ex- demos available?

I haven't checked but think I read somewhere when I was buying mine that the Axi machine has an induction motor while the Jet doesn't.

Hi Yorkie, sorry about the reasons why you’re doing this.

I have an AT1416vs - it’s a great lathe, liked it so much I bought a 1628. My daughter begged me to keep the 1416, tried it a couple of times and lost interest. If you’re interested in a little used 2nd hand one then PM me. Otherwise I’ll get it on the for sale pages.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dp341 said:

I have an AT1416vs - it’s a great lathe, liked it so much I bought a 1628. My daughter begged me to keep the 1416, tried it a couple of times and lost interest. If you’re interested in a little used 2nd hand one then PM me. Otherwise I’ll get it on the for sale pages.

Hi dp. Did you sell the 1416? Looking for a lathe to get into turning and the 1416 comes highly recommended. Thanks

John

geordie458":3mdr57ed said:
dp341":3mdr57ed said:

Hi dp. Did you sell the 1416? Looking for a lathe to get into turning and the 1416 comes highly recommended. Thanks

John

PM sent.

Back