Well you live & learn re sanding sealer / thinners ;-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a follow on from a previous post on finishing scrolled items

It was on the subject of sanding sealer which I was quite impressed with

Chas suggested using a glass jar with a 10% thinners thinned amount in the jar, keeping the brush in it

Sounded good so did that about ten days or so ago, I hadn't needed it again until today and thats where I learnt my lesson for today ;-)

I got the glass jar and had a double take as it was a purple/pink colour, turning the jar round I found half the brush stuck to the side and not attached to the bristle end

I had foolishly not thought of the repercussions of using a *plastic* brush :-(

Yeh, you can get similar surprises if you quickly grab a recycled yogurt cup you use for water glue mixing to put some white spirit or thinners in for the odd de-grease job.
Did you try out the new compound? might prove a winner for some tasks. :lol:

Yes I can give some items a blue rinse now ;-)

It won't go to waste :)

I really should have known better but it just did not click

CHJ":1sfrpobl said:
Yeh, you can get similar surprises if you quickly grab a recycled yogurt cup you use for water glue mixing to put some white spirit or thinners in for the odd de-grease job.
Did you try out the new compound? might prove a winner for some tasks. :lol:

And I suspect the plastic bristles found on most el cheapo brushes

nev":1qz9nc2y said:
You can also have a similar issue with painted handles on the erm... less expensive brushes.

For years I had a stash of cheap wood/bristle brushes from Ikea that have dwindled down so requested that next convenient opportunity a replenishment was due, duly arrived with Black finished handles!!
We will see if they are thinners proof in due course.

I used to use pastry brushes . Recently however the bristles have started falling out big time. Back to the drawing board.

The above plastic yogurt cup reminds me of my air force days. Our squadron had the (in)famous English Electric (Fr)lightening aircraft, whose engines could start without external power by a tiny turbine which burns "Avpin" (Iso Propyl Nitrate). Now there's a plastic-corroding liquid if ever there was one!

To test the starter in the hangar (without starting the engines!) one disconnected the ignition, then pressed the start button in the cockpit) with a mate kneeling under the belly where a drain for the (normally burnt) Avpin gas exits the fuselage, catching the unburned fluid in a graduated metal beaker, the contents of which then had to be weighed.

Being a new boy I was given the fluid catching job and being a bit "too clever" decided it would be easier to use a plastic beaker from the hangar coffee machine rather than going across the hangar to the special tools store for the proper beaker.

Yup, you guessed it. I shouted "OK", the button was duly pressed, and the unburned liquid duly appeared in the beaker. It must have lasted in there for all of 10 milliseconds before the whole bottom of the plastic beaker literally melted away into a tiny white blob, depositing liquid all over my hand and the hangar floor.

Stung like hell on a little open cut on my hand too, AND I got areal bollocking from the hangar chiefy for being a smart buttocks too!

Extreme Thread Drift, sorry.

AES

I like a bit of drift personally ;-)

AES":7x9vdzsj said:
The above plastic yogurt cup reminds me of my air force days. Our squadron had the (in)famous English Electric (Fr)lightening aircraft, whose engines could start without external power by a tiny turbine which burns "Avpin" (Iso Propyl Nitrate). Now there's a plastic-corroding liquid if ever there was one!

<snip>

Extreme Thread Drift, sorry.

AES

We had a couple of helicopters that used avpin to kick start them, flight pan fires could be interesting on a bright sunny day when first indication was when grass surround showed signs of wilting, scared the living daylights out of you at night, pilots weren't too happy either.

AES":i6ydkam6 said:
AES

Now there's a smell I've never forgot from my time at RAF Binbrook, burnt Avpin fumes!

Chris

Yup, long time ago - even longer for me than for you - Binbrook had no frightenings in my day (you 5 Sqn, or TFF?) - I was at Leconfield then Gutersloh on 19. Yup L O N G time ago!!

(Better stop this now, otherwise all the young kids here will be moaning about boring old f.rts)!

AES

I was ASF, not 5 or 11.

I was a fairy so spent most days playing bridge or darts while the heavies ripped the aircraft apart and then rebuilt them. I wasn't interested in aircraft in the slightest, I only joined for the electronics training, but it was fun when we managed to get 25 of them in the air for the 25th anniversary fly-past.

Chris

Ah, a fairy eh? ("No, not me Chief, I'm Radar"!).

As you may have guessed, I was a "hairy heavy" (never couild get on with all those electrons wizzing silently and mysteriously along wires. Give me a big lump of oily metal wanging about all over the place about any day. Could understand that - sometimes!).

But 25 up was a helluva an achievement. Best we ever did was about 10 I think.

As said, a L O N G time ago now, and we'll be boring the other poor pippers to death soon (if we haven't already).

Cheers

AES

pa, all this talk of thinners and beakers, you want to try the good stuff, HF (hydrofluoric), that'll melt the bottom out of a glass jar while you watch. Avpin does do a lovely job of getting most anything clean, puppy for long term storage though and alas no longer needed, goes bang rather nicely when you confine it and light it too ;).

no use as a sanding sealer though. :)

anyways, sorry for the thread drift, as recompense a suggestion for all, plastic drinking cups are dirt cheap (50 for 2 quid is the most I think I've paid) and PET or PP so stable with most thinners too unlike yogurt pots that are HDPE or PS and take up nearly no room to store, I keep a stack for most jobs from parts seperation, cleaning and degreasing of small parts, sawdust collection for mixing with glue, glue, paint and many many other uses (occasionally for a wee nip in the workshop when no one is looking and it's late)

"A wee nip in the workshop when no one's looking"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What on EARTH is he talking about???????? When I first read wee I thought of something COMPLETELY different! "Shame on you AES"!!!!!

:D

AES

ok ok, I'll make it less local and write in with a more general vernacular.

A quick warming imbibing of the finest ethanol based elixir known to man. :)

I trust this is more in keeping with the ways of the scroll?

note : do not confuse your cups, always label them "Pee" "not Pee"
note 2 : always rotate the cup fully to ensure you read the entire label before drinking.

Back