Scroll saw with easy and fast blade change, on budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kstano83":4u8f3byt said:
I got hooked up by wooden car toys and scroll sawing pretty quickly and my inicial plan was to get a cheap scroll saw to learn on untill I read about how money wasthing they are. So I saved up 3x as much and bought Proxxon DS 460 but I got kind of disapointed. The saw runs smooth and quiet, but changing the blade or reataching it for inner cuts is complicated and time consuming.

I like the quick release that some more expensive saws like Hegner use. The chepest saw with such a release I found is Jet JSS 354 for 430€ that is available locally in my town and I could check it and maybe even run it for a while to see how it works.

So now I´m thinking of returning the Proxxon and give the Jet a try. Problem is, that I would not be able to return it if I´m not happy with it.

Your thoughts?

This is probably very cheeky of me, as I've only just got a scrollsaw and this is my second post, but as it's freezing out in the shed I've been looking at lots of videos online on scrolling techniques. I was looking at how to put in blades and came across a video by a Robert Nurden called "how to make a quick release for your scrollsaw" which simply uses a bicycle seat clamp instead of unscrewing/screwing all the time with the allen key. Certainly perfect for someone on a budget.

Unfortunately Suzy that is a different type of blade clamp, it won't work on your saw without changing the whole blade clamp assembly (where it bolts onto the arm)

By the time you pay for new clamps and fit them to your saw, you would probably find its cheaper to buy a second hand better quality machine that has the facility already

My advice would be to enjoy the machine you have and if you enjoy making things with it, look around on ebay, gumtree, preloved etc for a used Hegner or better quality machine

You will find as in most things in life, the better the quality of the machine the easier and therefore more enjoyable it becomes

Nothing wrong with the saw you have, its just that there are better, its the same with most machinery I find

This is probably very cheeky of me, as I've only just got a scrollsaw and this is my second post, but as it's freezing out in the shed I've been looking at lots of videos online on scrolling techniques. I was looking at how to put in blades and came across a video by a Robert Nurden called "how to make a quick release for your scrollsaw" which simply uses a bicycle seat clamp instead of unscrewing/screwing all the time with the allen key. Certainly perfect for someone on a budget.[/quote]

Back