Last of the season.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Last Car boot of the season, gave up these.
IMG_0960.JPG

1931-39 Record No5 SS
Matherson saw-set.
LH. AbraFrame. Takes Abra file blades.(If anyone has some I'd be interested)
RH. Junior hacksaw, the blade is fully rotatable, aka coping saw.
All for less than £20.
Biggest regret, there was a matching No.4 SS on the same stall as the No5, couldn't justify adding to my collection.
Given the No5 is 80 years old, all I had to do to get acceptable shavings, was to advance the blade.
The handle has been mended twice, a lot of plating has fallen off the cap lever, but it feels right in the hand.

Bod

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 916
I was going to start one of these! Last sale (that I'll go to at least) was yesterday. Here's my haul for the princely sum of €7:

BVFhM7x.jpg

qIxYQCw.jpg

The brace doesn't look like anything special but it turns out it's very old, from John S. Fray & Co. in the US.

My findings on Saturday for £10:

Attachments

• IMG_5585C.jpg
    IMG_5585C.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_5583C.jpg
    IMG_5583C.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_5581C.jpg
    IMG_5581C.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 751
The "saw set" in the OP - am I breaking protocol by asking what it is? I picked a job lot of old bits and bobs up recently and there was one in there... I'd been idlly wondering about asking on here what it was; now I know what it is, but not a clue what to do with it!

Jamster21":32e7b9ll said:
The "saw set" in the OP - am I breaking protocol by asking what it is? I picked a job lot of old bits and bobs up recently and there was one in there... I'd been idlly wondering about asking on here what it was; now I know what it is, but not a clue what to do with it!

"Setting" a saw means adjusting how much the tips of the teeth project from the sides of the plate. They have to project a bit so that the kerf (groove) that the saw cuts is wider than the plate. If there was no set, or not enough, the saw would bind in the cut and be impossible to use. Too much set makes the saw tiring to use, as you are removing more wood.

The sort of saw set shown has different size slots to suit different saws. To use it, you pick a slot which fits and bring the handle down towards the saw plate, bending the tip of each tooth in turn, alternately to left and right. You need to be consistent on how you apply the tool and how far you bend it.

This sort of set (also called a saw wrest) is quite old. Plier types came later and are easier to use as they don't let you bend a tooth too far and snap it off.

This is the right place to ask questions!

Jamster21":wzqsiy2h said:

AndyT is quite correct on what and how with the saw set.
The reason I was attracted to this one, is the forked end. As well as it's overall condition, almost as new!
The forked end is to tighten the Split nuts, found on older saws holding the handle on, this style of nut started to go out of use in around 1880.
Normally these are found with a normal screwdriver type end or no useable end.
As the newer pistol grip sets are much easier to use, this will only be used for nut tightening.

Bod

Thanks both - much appreciated. I'll clean it up then in readiness for getting a good saw at some point...

Back