Notes on English Woodland Timber@Cocking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about English Woodland Timber?
(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)
(To ADD a new yard/s please post here)

Are they hobby friendly?

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Will they deliver?

Do they have online ordering?

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Do they sell turning blanks?

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Do you have any comments?

Thanks for your help,
Neil

Are they hobby friendly?
They have a large selection of smaller pieces with prices written on them inc vat. Ask to see the rack wood. Usually have a large selection of elm, oak, walnut etc.
There is a mix of sizes and lengths in this area.

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?
Just turn up between opening times. I would avoid lunchtime as there will be no one to help you with moving/selecting wood with the forklift. They did get a little iffy when i arrived at lunch once but still were friendly and helped me out. I could tell they were eager to eat though.

Will they deliver?
They do deliver. As an idea, I live approximately 1hr 15min away and they wanted to charge £100. I drive by car and stick it in the back after they chainsaw cut the timber for me.

Do they have online ordering?
Order by phone. Most boards have online pictures now with individual board codes. Pick the number of the piece you like and let them know.

Are prices displayed at the yard?
Rack wood usually has prices. Sometimes they will work it out for you. For the large boards and other items prices are online.

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?
They have a large variety. I buy Oak, Walnut, Ash, Elm both in European and American Varieties. There website has an extensive list.

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?
Think they do but unsure.

Do they sell manufactured boards?
They have machines so I think they can plane and cut boards for you.

Do they sell turning blanks?
Unknown
Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?
Large yard, 5-6 guys in the yard sometimes. 3 forklifts between them. Always happy to help.

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?
They are happy to chainsaw cut the boards down to fit in my car.

Do you have any comments?
They are undergoing new construction. Each time I go it gets better and better in terms of layout and access.
Narrow single track up to yard. May have to wait for vehicles leaving arriving.
No/very little internet/phone access in the yard.

When I go I have looked up what boards I want and written the codes down. When you get to the yard ask someone for some help locating them. Sometimes the boards i have chosen arnt great, but the boards that around it are usually the same size. so pick the best ones.

I would go with someone who can help you move boards around. I feel bad getting them to keep sorting until i find a good one.

Really friendly and very helpful. Great selection. Huge! Amount of kiln and air dried.

There killer aspect is being able to see online what they have in stock and prices before you go. Makes quoting jobs a breeze.

Hope that helps someone!

Newbie_Neil":2vsdhkm2 said:
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about English Woodland Timbers?
(To VIEW the full list of yards click here)
(To ADD a new yard/s please post here)

Are they hobby friendly? yes

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? supervised self select

Will they deliver? Yes

Do they have online ordering? Yes. Also online stock lists help give an idea of what they have available

Are prices displayed at the yard? Some boards are marked, others you can look up on their stock list

Do they sell domestic hardwoods? Yes

Do they sell other hardwoods? Not sure

Do they sell softwoods? no

Do they sell manufactured boards? no

Do they sell turning blanks? not sure

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? medium to large

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? yes

Do you have any comments? Massive stock of waney edge boards and they will prepare although I've not used this. Exceptionally helpful and happy to move stock around with the fork lift to view the individual boards

Thanks for your help,
Neil

HTH
Bob

Latest posts

Back