Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doris, that workshop is great. I don't know how you kept the momentum for three years, I would have forgotten I started it. Well done.
Phil, it took me a while to see the shape of the bottom, the dry one that is. I like the non fruit bowl shape, something a little different.

Well done both.
xy

xy mosian":1we9dm3v said:
Doris, that workshop is great. I don't know how you kept the momentum for three years, I would have forgotten I started it. Well done.

Thanks

It went up and down from the loft to work on around august to November time. But this year I did most of the work on it to finish it off. I would get so far with it and then get bored of it so would put it back in the loft for another year in the past.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This was a nice simple project to keep my hand in.

It's a nailed together box. My source for the design idea was a series of three YT videos by Treebangham - https://youtu.be/bbeDvPNFbdI . He got the idea from a magazine article by Toshio Odate here
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vPY ... e&q&f=true - and it's also in Odate's book on Japanese tools.

The design is a traditional Japanese toolbox. Construction is just by nailing. I did buy nice decorative nails as discussed here - https://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/07/3 ... available/ - made in France, sold in Oxford. For the battens, I had enough old reclaimed clasp nails. Most of the work was planning the dimensions and planing the wood, which was some lovely old pine, salvaged from the top and bottom of an old Victorian cupboard - the same cupboard whose sides provided the wood for my step-chair. My box is scaled down from the toolbox and is 15" long, with the wood all about half an inch thick.

The feature that appealed to me the most was the simple idea of the tapered wedge to hold the lid in place - this works really well.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

Thanks Tyreman. The finish is Liberon Finishing Oil - two coats so far - and some afternoon sunshine, which really helps bring out the golden tones.
Liberon seem reluctant to say which "high quality oils" are in it, but according to Phil P's research here post925333.html#p925333 it's tung oil and resins.

It has a steel spring and three small steel pins... the rest is wood.

It's 'RAF' but it works.

[youtube]iNAuQhrEhp0[/youtube]

... and the flywheel is pished, I think the axle wasn't glued in straight. :-D

That's a good idea! It's loose at the moment but stays nice and tight in use as it's bevelled in the thickness as well as the length.

MattRoberts":2b8equdv said:
Hah, that's great Naz, and the sound is quite therapeutic!

It is when you can get far enough away from the compressor that's screaming its nads off in the garage. :-D

Finished up a few very quickly made bandsaw boxes for an xmas bazaar being held at my son's school for fundraising. The oak ones were a total disaster, the ebonising went badly wrong and they had to be scrapped:

IMG_1645a.jpg

But some of the rest turned out okay, considering they were all made in a week from scraps and ends of boards that had been lying around getting underfoot:

IMG_1683a.jpg

IMG_1677a.jpg

IMG_1674a.jpg

IMG_1669a.jpg

IMG_1666a.jpg

IMG_1660a.jpg

El Barto":1ym6a39r said:

I really like that downward slope to the arm, no good for coffee resting but I guess it's super comfortable and it adds a lot of drama to the design.

=D>

custard":aal22pzt said:
El Barto":aal22pzt said:

I really like that downward slope to the arm, no good for coffee resting but I guess it's super comfortable and it adds a lot of drama to the design.

=D>

Thanks Custard! Once I began fitting the arm to the spindles I actually wasn't too keen on the slope and angle, but by then it was far too late. Ha ha. But overall I'm really pleased with how it came out.

Incidentally, one of the things that makes your chair look so contemporary are the "atomic legs". Earlier turners generally put a concave/convex/concave profile on their legs (similar to your stretchers), but that clean, single curve on a leg became known as the atomic profile and is one of the design signatures of mid century modern.

custard":1wx4dvle said:
Incidentally, one of the things that makes your chair look so contemporary are the "atomic legs". Earlier turners generally put a concave/convex/concave profile on their legs (similar to your stretchers), but that clean, single curve on a leg became known as the atomic profile and is one of the design signatures of mid century modern.

Yes I was pleased that James (Mursell @ The Windsor Workshop) has chosen to go with legs like this in his design as opposed to a more traditional Windsor leg. His design also used a “splat” as back support which I decided to lose in place of all spindles. It does leave a bit of a gap at the lower back but I think it looks a bit cleaner.

Back