Turpentine gone thick.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
I have about a litre of pure turpentine which I have just decanted from a larger bottle into a smaller one to make save some storage space. It seems however to have gone a bit syrupy, probably from being a small amount in too large a bottle. Will this cause any problems? I only ever really use it to mix with wax anyway.

It would generally be a problem if it goes syrupy! How's it smell?

To test if you want to still use it for anything (at its current consistency it's little use as a thinner) place a drop on glass or glazed ceramic and leave it to evaporate. Fresh turpentine should evaporate and leave zero trace, slightly aged turpentine that's still usable will leave just a slightly greasy ring and if it dries gummy or sticky you'll probably have no use for it.

In addition to the large headspace above the turpentine in the bottle there's a reasonable chance the cap isn't airtight.

Smells like turpentine which for me is amazing lol.

I'll do the evaporation test, I am going to guess there will be some gummy residue. Will it still be any use mixed with beeswax to make polish?

Back