Router Finger joint jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have this table top router http://www.pingtekpowertools.com/pingte ... r-28-p.asp and I am looking for a guide so I can make a finger joint jig with it.

There seems to be a few guides on youtube but they all appear to be for home made router tables with sliding groves on either side, mine does not have these. The problem I face is keeping the wood plum to the rear fence to enable straight cuts.

Have any of you folks made one before for a similar looking or even the same machine?

1. Remove everything above the surface of the table.

2. Google for Steve Maskery's jig on YouTube (possibly under Workshop Essentials),

3. Adapt his design with a wider sled, which has runners that use the sides of the table to keep the sled moving in a straight line.

With Steve's approach, which works well and is well proven, the sled goes with the width of the cutter you use. So if you are undecided about this, pick something easily found, such as 6.3mm (1/4"), as that will be easy to replace as/when and won't be expensive. If you want thinner or thicker fingers, you need to make a new sled for the new cutter.

Thinner fingers may be awkward, as the cutter has to project above the sled through a slot, and some small cutters are only "waisted" where the cutting edge starts, so you will need to make a 1/4" trench in the underside of the sled's base, before you can use a thinner cutter projecting through it. You really need it to be "zero clearance" round the cutter itself, so as to minimise tearout.

Thank you very much Eric the Viking for your reply, some good advice given.

Gary

Latest posts

Back