Record Power Sabre 350 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a long while since I last posted here, but finally getting back into woodworking again after several months off having to do other things.

I'm looking to get myself a bandsaw, and within my budget (up to c. 1000 pounds) it seems that the Record BS400 is my best bet (open to opinion there too, of course). However... just to muddy the waters, I noticed this new arrival at Record Power, a bandsaw called the Sabre350 (http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/sa ... ndsaw-230v) - and I was wondering if anyone here had tried this out yet?

It has significantly better depth of cut than the standard 350, marginally larger throat, but what got my attention was the new design of blade guide assembly:

lFeDIP9.jpg

Anyway just looking for some thoughts on this (if anyone has encountered it yet), whether or not what looks like a much easier to use blade guide assembly is enough to make this worth serious consideration over the BS400, etc.

Thanks!

----------------------

EDIT: Further on in the thread I posted about actually buying this bandsaw, and some video review links I created, so for ease of finding, here are the current videos:

Part 1 Unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcTURPMzbnU
Part 2 Assembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSaueEN3vQ
Part 3 FInal Assembly, First Use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Z3TaBvZhw

Its new enough that I doubt if anyone has seen one yet, let alone have one, but its worth noting that at last someone at Record Power R&D department knew enough about engineering to put the bearings in the machine the right way around, the way bearings are designed to run, and got rid of the rubbing blocks, perhaps this is the start of an update to all their bandsaws?

Mods I carried out to my BS350:

Guides.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Guides.jpg
    Guides.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 9,253
Hi Nick, New models need to be seen as being good, but knowing Record Power, it could be an improvement. I have the BS400 and am very pleased with it indeed and it has plenty of good reviews on this forum.
Malcolm

Thanks both, I like the look of your mod to the 350 Mike, is that the one available from Axminster, and would that also fit the 400, I wonder?

I'll give Record a call later and see if anywhere stocks the Saber yet so I can have a look too.

Looking through the manual of the new Sabre 350 it seems the upper bearing guides are fitted by a rod in a similar way as the other models, I wonder if Record Power will sell the bearing unit as a replacement part? Could not see a lot of detail on the bottom guides, the pictures in the downloaded manual are not good enough to ascertain how they fit, they now have a ratchet lever for adjustment?

Mike

After a couple of phone calls, it seems that the Sabre350 bandsaw has quite a few improvements, the guide assembly, fence attaches to either side of the table, can be tilted to compensate for drift, trunnions are strengthened, tensioning mechanism improved, blade changing easier, etc. etc.

The possibility of offering the new bearing guides as a retro-fit for the older models was also most definitely not ruled out, but it was mentioned that it would not be a straightforward swap, some cutting would be needed (which tallies with your links to posts where that has been done).

The hard part is trying to get to see one in the flesh, but attempts are being made to get one to the Toolite show - if not I'll be having a somewhat longer journey to Somerset.

Just a quick update for this thread:

Went to Yandles today specifically to look at the Sabre 350 (well, who could refuse an opportunity to travel at horse and carriage speed along the marvellous M5 past Bristol?) and compare it to what had been my choice up to now, the BS400.

Came away actually very impressed indeed with the build quality of the Sabre - everything on it appears to have been thoughtfully designed and is far more robust and somehow professional looking than the older bandsaws - two things I particularly liked was the full width measurement / fence sliding rod to cater for positioning the fence on the right hand side too, and the incredibly easy table alignment system, a quick twist and the alignment rod comes out to be able to change the blade quickly. The table is considerably higher than the 400, which I would find an advantage with a somewhat sensitive lower back, and, as I thought, the guide bearing assemblies are, frankly, what should have been on the older bandsaws too, far far better.

Unlike the 400 it doesn't have a separate small diameter dust extraction facility underneath the table, in other respects the Sabre 350 is modelled on, as would be expected, the BS350. I did understand that there is a Sabre 400 slated for production next year, which presents even more of a quandary, do I wait or take the plunge and go for this one...? Decisions, decisions. However as I'm unlikely to be dealing with huge logs and bowl blanks I can't help thinking that the 350 ought to be easily enough for my needs, and at least I can get it up and running now.

At last Record Power are coming into the 20 century, always late, but maybe not too late, a bit like BMC who did leave it too long.

:mrgreen: Go for it, would love a hands on opinion.

Mike

Further update:

Sabre350 ordered :D

Seems to be selling like hot cakes, actually, and the next delivery, due with Record Power on 5th January, already has a huge number of pre-orders, of which mine is one. Was quite amusing yesterday at the Toolite show, talking to the RP Rep (who was showing the BS400) about how impressed I'd been with the Sabre, and getting his opinion on the improvements it carries, and TWO other people who were listening in also decided to pre-order one based on that, rather than their originally intended purchase of the standard BS350. The Rep commented that I ought to be on commission too... :lol:

In any case, I'll consider doing a proper video review, but at the very least a written review here in due course.

I will look forward to it.

I wonder if there will be a sale of the older models, the new versions would certainly make the older ones less attractive, retailers may need to get rid of old stock.

Mike

According to RP spares for the Sabre 350 including the upper bearing assembly will be available early in the New Year.

Mike

:mrgreen: One thought, these things are heavy do you need to move it around in the workshop, or will it stay in one place, worth thinking about before it arrives, RP offer a wheel kit at £59.99 if bought at the same time, there is no image of it, but I assume its the same as the other full height units i.e. two wheels at the back and a jack handle with wheels, if its a replacement for the cabinet and is the same as the push down version, don't bother its horrible, better to make your own box and put some lockable castors on the bottom.

Mike

A very good point Mike, luckily one I have been thinking about already and have been in touch with Peter at New Brit Workshop about his low profile castor carriage that he built for a planer thicknesser - so the plan is to build a modified version of this (with the castor beams at front and back to allow for the side opening lower cabinet door on the bandsaw). As the bandsaw table is quite high enough already the less added to the height by castors the better, really.

The added advantage of building my own is that I can make it a fair bit larger than the base footprint, improving the stability a bit.

However... I would be interested to know what people's experience of the RP full height wheel kit is (the one with the jack handle at front)? Looks like the castors at back don't swivel so that could be a nuisance.

Peter's low profile carriage seems ideal, allows you to move in any direction, the non swivelling castors on the Record Power base's are a nightmare and drove me up the proverbial wall, they had to go, the rest of the unit for the 350 is to say the least of a lightweight construction, if you move your bandsaw a lot the wheels eventually distort to such an extent it will not work anymore, the wheels are mounted on a cantilever piece of metal that bends and puts all the careful adjustments made to make the unit work a waste of time.

Pic shows the original RP castors, the fixings are one bolt only each end onto a cantilever, very bad design, you can see the distortion of the sides.

RP castors.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• RP castors.jpg
    RP castors.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 3,492
I for one will be very interested in what you think of the bandsaw after you've lived with it for a while.

For the money, it's does seem to be up there with the best.

One of the nice touches I noticed was the allen key holder on the tower, at the moment mine are on magnets, but the holder is a much neater arrangement, will ask RP if they are available as an accessory.

Mike :ho2

Oak log.jpg

Just thought, get a nice piece of oak, drill it for the allen wrenches and epoxy some magnets into the back of it, job done.

Merry Christmas to one and all. :ho2 :ho2 :ho2

Attachments

• Oak log.jpg
    Oak log.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3,409
Back