What do I need for welding other than the welder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself some heat sinks, especially if you're going to be welding thin materials. I use some thick scraps of aluminium and copper bar when I'm welding light gauge steel sheet. Helps to prevent blow out (pin holes) and as already mentioned the weld metal won't "stick" to the copper or aluminium. Pick up secondhand vice grips whenever you see them at boot fairs, they can be easily modified for special clamping tasks. A good engineers/ mechanics vice is essential, fit it with copper soft jaws and treat it well- no weld spatter!

Wear COTTON overalls or similar. Wool and synthetics get holes far too easily. I have an otherwise nice smock-type fleece that's more of a colander these days (it's polyester). Now, every time I find a hole with a finger, I remember and mentally kick myself. And it's a lot chillier as body-warm air can easily escape from it in the winter!

E
("Why is your fleece covered in sticking plasters?")

Eric The Viking":2l349t5p said:
Wear COTTON overalls or similar. Wool and synthetics get holes far too easily.
("Why is your fleece covered in sticking plasters?")
Would have expected wool to be OK, although haven't ever seen woolen overalls. Do have an aertex fleece, though!

Beau":5j42pz62 said:
Picking up my first ever welder later today. Think the Mig welder comes with regulators and I know I have to sort out some gas. Also got myself a visor and some gauntlets but what else will I need? I am completely new to this so sorry if it's dum question.

Got a couple of friends who can give me lessons but wanted to dabble with it first.

Safety wise, cover up. I was a welder and Mig welding with Co2 gas and tig welding with Argon gas would give me what was sun burn but in the extreme on any exposed skin. How ever tig welding copper using Helium has i could do in a Tee shirt all day with no effect what so ever, apart from the heat of the copper.
Also a helmet that switched automatically from clear to dark (wish i had the years ago lol)
As others have said, lots an lots of scrap metal to stick together. When you welding it should sound like frying bacon with no spits or pops. And stay away from rust as that will just spit and pop.

Back