Hallowe'en Fun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Steve Good's candle cube ornament, I made this version for Hallowe'en (it was something to do while waiting for glue to dry).

100_0249.jpg

Steve's project - http://www.stevedgood.com/candlecube.pdf

Also, a pallet project for the 'hard of woodworking'. :-D

100_0241.jpg

Not everyone has to make Windsor chairs, right? :-D

Your work always brings a smile to my face Naz. I always appreciate you posting it. There's a lot to be said for making people you've never met smile by the things you make. Said it before, you have a flair and artistic eye that some fine furniture makers would kill for. Keep it up mate.

Do they glow in the dark and are the ribbed for her pleasure? Should you rub with or against the grain?

Very good by the way.

Are they glued in Naz? I only mention it because if not you could rearrange them left to right and you could market and sell them to the Tate Modern as an artwork entitled 'The 3 stages of Marriage'. In fact scrub that. Leave as is and sell as conceptual art. 'The reversal of the concept of coital marital harmony' Probably get more money. I went there once on a detour on my way home from work and your 'ghosts' have higher production values than a lot of the stuff I saw. Remember the outcry of the bricks and 2be4s? I seen that gear. It really was just some PAR 2x4 and stocks laid out on the floor. Brilliant. Everyone stood there debating it and I just thought 'LMAO you cheeky c*** I can't believe you got paid for it and there's me getting up at 4am to clean windows'.
Also if you hang a grand piano upside down from the ceiling that's art too apparently.
Because it's late and I'm tired I'll share a window cleaning story about Art.
Years back I was doing the yearly clean on St Martins Art college. Normally when we clean studenty places its late summer so we don't upset the media studies and drama undergraduates by reminding them they will be doing menial underpaid labour for the next 40 years of their lives for choosing the wrong college course at the age of 18, This time, by some mix up or other we were a little early in the summer.
As usual we were there early doors. 5 am etc. These jobs are not like domestic window cleaning. You have a huge amount of glass to knock out. Graft. No one really cares too much. It's a college not some hedge fund managers office. You hit it with 10 fellas and smash it out.
We're there early and throw all the surplus gear in a corner of this big room. Buckets, rags, scrims, 10 steps, extension poles. Yada Yada. Off we go we're on a price. Smashing the work out, it's a punch. About 11 am me and Paul have moved to on to a part of the building where we need a 10 step (that's a little ladder to you lot). We walk back to get it but it's now apparently Graduation Open Day. And crucially, the big room where we chucked all the gear at 5 am is now apparently 'The Exhibition Room'.
There's loads of people. proud parents, journalists, professors etc chatting and viewing all the artwork of this years graduates. Coffee, biscuits, quiet chatter. All that.
Me and Paul go to the corner to get the ladder. But here's the thing and it's a little awkward. There's a big group of people stood around all the gear and they are discussing it as an 'installation'

Me and Paul stand there for a second unsure what to do as we hear words like 'interesting juxtaposition' and 'distinctive commentary' but we need the ladder.
F*** this. I'm on price work.
'Scuse me' I say. Jostle politely through the mob discussing the ladder and buckets as artwork and pick up the ladder. There's a distinct pause in general conversation.
'Alright?' I say brightly.
There's this moment as they realise. I sling the ladder on my shoulder and you have never seen a crowd of people disperse in such embarrased silence so quickly. It was tangible.
That's all you need to know about art.
:wink:

If I was selling it to the Tate, I'd have left it as a pallet to maximise the effect (and the monetary reward).

All I needed to do was lean it against the wall at a jaunty angle and put a rope barrier around it. I have other ideas but I don't really fancy lifting one of my pigs onto the bandsaw table. Not sure I even have enough formaldehyde anyway.

Anyway, I digress... When are you publishing a book?

i like the cubes on steve goods website that was linked to. what type of wood is used for that, I like the grain in it and where would I find it.

cheers

darloray":1ajcf2w6 said:
i like the cubes on steve goods website that was linked to. what type of wood is used for that, I like the grain in it and where would I find it.

cheers

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.co.uk ... andle+cube

Something 'spalted' for the outsides... Beech maybe? A nice Walnut for the middle would work.

As long as the woods are contrasting, it'll look ok.

I made one with Walnut on the outside and Oak in the middle, it looks fine.

Back