CNC Birch Ply Project - need help with a quote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlacidCasual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have designed a slot and tab arrangement set of shelves for my study as a practice job for some other future CNC projects I'm considering.

I have received a quote of £420 ex VAT.
The project consists of 4 uprights, 4 shelves and 1 big shelf and requires 3 off 8' by 4' 24mm thick sheets of ply to make and they are quoting for BB grade ply as they are having difficulty getting anything of a higher grade.

I obviously have the option of going out to other companies to quote but locally (South Wales) it's been like pulling teeth to get anyone interested.

What do people think of the cost, does it sound fair?

Update: it splits as £62 ex VAT supply per sheet and £78 ex VAT machining per sheet.

Most of the cost will be setup which is the most time consuming part of CNC. That's probably why it's difficult to get interest as a lot won't want to do one-offs. If you wanted to make a run of them then I would expect the unit price to reduce considerably although obviously the material cost will increase.

It's always worth getting another quote, yours to me sounds about right but other people look at jobs differently and quote will reflect that. Try asking company's that are looking for work ie advertising.

BB grade ply has patches. Under any finish, apart from paint, patches look a bit obvious.

ply patch 1.jpg

Attachments

• ply patch 1.jpg
    ply patch 1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Try Sign and Print in Ystalyvera near Swansea. Primarily sign makers but they also CNC ply for other projects. They have customers all over south Wales so delivery shouldn't be an issue.
I have no idea on prices but probably worth a phone call.
Ask for Rob or Matthew.

Hi there it’s Matthew from Sign and Print Systems. Happy to discuss this project with you
Message me to discuss (new to this forum) but seems I’ve been missing out.

Have you produced the cad files for what you are looking to be machined. You might get a better price if you supply dxf files ready for them to upload to the cnc. It would reduce the setup time, which as others have already said, on a one off project is most of the labour cost.

Back