Converting timber stable into a workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulm":32d95fn4 said:
Thanks Mike. If using mineral wool it was going to be with a battened out and membraned inch gap between the existing external cladding and the mineral wool. Is that still likely to slump ? I've seen mineral wool "batts" I think they're called which might be better if slumping is likely ?

Sorry to the OP, hope it's not hijacking your thread and of some use to you too ! :)

Regarding "Batts", I first bought Wickes own version which were frankly appalling with great clumps of material falling off when handled and frustratingly slumping over.
I ended up purchasing original Rockwool mineral wool Batts from an online supplier which were in a different league and I was very happy with them.

Again, apologies for the delayed reply and a big thanks you all for the replies, especially MikeG who kindly responded to my plea for help!

75mm Celotex and 9mm OSB 3 is on order. No membrane/vapour barrier, just the 2mm gap where OSB meets studs as per Mike's advice.

I will be putting in a ceiling. It will also be 9mm OSB 3, supported by a simple 3x2 frame, insulated with a mass of spare rockwall that i have to hand.

Floor will be a simple rubber mat for the time being, as I'm still hoping that this will be a temporary workshop and that i will have a garage to call my own in the near future. Everything i do to this workshop will be unscrewed and taken to the garage, and the Mrs can have her additional stable store that she (apparently) needs! If i end up in there long-term, I'll reconsider the floor.

While you're all still here, i need to buy some fixings for the OSB. Any top tips on screw size & centres for walls/ceilings?

The usual way to assess screw size is to assume 35mm into the timber below the thing you are screwing through. In your case, 9mm OSB +35mm = 44mm. So, you could just about get away with a 40mm screw, but 50 is preferable. Personally, I nailed mine, and at about 200/ 225 centres.

Unless you've got some other structure, 3x2s are nowhere near man enough to span a 12 foot ceiling.

Hi All. First post and I'm new to "structural" DIY.

I will shortly be converting stables into a workshop/gym, so this (and MikeG's "Build a shed") have been very interesting and helpful threads. I don't have access to the property yet, so I am trying to research first what I will (probably) need to do.

One thing that I do know is that I'll want to insulate the floor (which is rough-screed concrete) but I don't want to raise the floor too much if I can avoid it. I know I could use rubber tiles, but I want this to be a bit more effective/permanent.

Does anyone know of any other product that could be laid directly and bear weight, or is it always best to batten out, insert Celotex or similar and board with OSB?

Many thanks

Richard

You don't need to batten out. You can just lay Celotex flat on the concrete, and put a suitable chipboard or ply floor down on top of that, provided it is jointed and glued, and trapped down at the edges. In a workshop I wouldn't use less than 22mm ply/ chipboard. Beware of chipboard in that it can be very slippery, particularly with sawdust on it.

Back