Notes on YANDLES (TIMBER ONLY) @MARTOCK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together a table of timber yards, with information from members who have actually visited the yards. Can you please help with information about Yandles FOR TIMBER PURCHASES ONLY?

Are they hobby friendly?

Can you self-select or is it by appointment?

Will they deliver?

Do they have online ordering?

Are prices displayed at the yard?

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?

Do they sell other hardwoods?

Do they sell softwoods?

Do they sell manufactured boards?

Do they sell turning blanks?

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard?

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle?

Do you have any comments?

Thanks for your help,
Neil

I don't buy timber from this company but I have used their on line calculator to price some. The prices given were jaw dropping!

Are they hobby friendly? - very much so.

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? - quite a wide range of self selection timber. If you are looking for something a bit more complex or out of the ordinary then they are usually helpful over the phone.

Will they deliver? - don't know but I suspect for a charge. Suspect local delivery only but not sure.

Do they have online ordering? - not checked as I live close enough to visit.

Are prices displayed at the yard? - all timber in the self selection area is priced.

Do they sell domestic hardwoods? - yes.

Do they sell other hardwoods? - yes. Quite a wide range of woods.

Do they sell softwoods? - yes but not much.

Do they sell manufactured boards? - small selection of veneered mdf. I haven't seen anything else

Do they sell turning blanks? - yes, quite a selection.

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? - large yard.

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? - think so.

Do you have any comments? - Not sure if their prices compare well with others but as you can root around to find what you want I find it best for my modest needs. The will prepare cutting lists but I've never used this. Also agents for record, charminster and triton, - wide selection of machines on display. Good coffee shop!

Good selection of expensive exotics but surly, unhelpful staff. All the "add ons", cafe, craft shop and art gallery are good but I am not so impressed with the service in the tool/timber dept

I did a three day wood turning course there a couple of years ago and on day one gave them a cutting list for 6 5x5 oak posts which I wanted to take away on day three, about £300 so a reasonable order. I had to plead to get them to do it in three days, but that said, they did.

Customer service could do with some fetteling.

Bill

Newbie_Neil":2z441gad said:
Do you have any comments? They keep particularly fine boards back for their shows. Get there in the day or two before a show, or on the first morning of a show, for the best pick of the really good stuff!

Thanks for your help,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":16signkn said:
I am putting together a table of timber yards with information for forum users. Can you please help with information about Yandles FOR TIMBER PURCHASES ONLY?

Are they hobby friendly? Yes

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? Yes, self select

Will they deliver? Yes

Do they have online ordering? Yes

Are prices displayed at the yard? Yes

Do they sell domestic hardwoods?yes

Do they sell other hardwoods?yes

Do they sell softwoods?yes

Do they sell manufactured boards?yes

Do they sell turning blanks?yes

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? Medium ‘ large (imho)

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? Yes

Do you have any comments? Good range tools and spring / autumn shows are excellent

Thanks for your help,
Neil

Newbie_Neil":3ji70pns said:
I am putting together a table of timber yards with information for forum users. Can you please help with information about Yandles FOR TIMBER PURCHASES ONLY?

Are they hobby friendly? Yes

Can you self-select or is it by appointment? Self select is the Norm

Will they deliver? Yes

Do they have online ordering? Yes

Are prices displayed at the yard? All self selection wood products priced

Do they sell domestic hardwoods? Yes

Do they sell other hardwoods? usually a reasonable range of exotics

Do they sell softwoods? Limited, have seen fencing products and materials in yard, maybe it's primarily cut/made to order.

Do they sell manufactured boards? Have seen a few Veneered Sheets

Do they sell turning blanks? Yes

Are they a one-man-band or a small, medium or large yard? Medium to Large Yard, on site manufacturing

Will they cut to length to fit in your vehicle? Yes if there is an operative available in the store, usually is on open days.

Do you have any comments?

Shop Counter staff can be less than helpful, have had individuals quite happy to sell some of your prime selected items left at counter while you add to the pile to someone else (that was not on an open day either), don't visit regularly enough to know if this is the norm, could easily have turn over of staff more regularly than I visit.

Another one for "staff could do much better" A couple of them seem to find customers a nuisance that interrupt their coffee breaks. I suspect they may be family members of the owners.
But an amazing selection of exotic hardwoods, and a pretty big tool shop and large hobby craft shop (seperate) with lots on display.

Ample parking, good coffee shop.

I have used Yandles 6 or 8 times for small to large (£900) purchases.

1) Selection of exotics is very good
2) Uk timber selection is good as well if you can get at it. Staff wre reluctant to letr me browse the yard for stored oak timbers.
3) Staff were reluctant to help either with advice or physically. Two just ignored me.
4) Expensive. So much so that for UK timbers I now go elsewhere and only visit Yandles for exotics. Expensive means eye wateringly so.
5) Coffee lounge, crafts etc are just irrelevant as any sort of criteria.

Back