Pebeco blade problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone else finding the Pebeco blades not lasting and snapping very easily?

Having used them for years the quality over the last 18months seems to have really dipped. Cuts that would previously take 1-2 blades can be taking upto 12!! Saw is exactly the same and so is tension

I have old used blades that are outlasting the new blades when used. It seems the back edge of the blade has less depth than previous blades for a given size

Here's a picture of an original (4) sized blade and the new (4) blade.

Old blade on bottom/left , new on the top/right. Different tooth sizes, and even though the older (bottom/left) is used and has smaller teeth it outlasts the newer version with bigger teeth. The new just seem to readily snap

Attachments

• IMG_9530.JPG
    IMG_9530.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 739
Don't know about Pebeco blades but i am still having problems with my Pegas blades and broke 8 today cutting some Beech........normally they last at least a day......I have also noticed the profile of some blades changing and makes you wonder if they only test them on thin plywood and nothing over an inch thick.
My tension is set the same as it always is but this batch of blades are rubbish.
I got some Niqua which seem a bit better.
Cheers and have fun
Brian

Not heard of Pebeco blades before. Where did you find them?

AES

(P.S. Brian, I've not been doing very much at all in my shop these last few weeks, but so far - touch wood - I've had no problems with Pegas blades breaking prematurely).

AES

They are direct from Hegner, or TechnologySupplies as it is now. Been using them for 15years with no problems then suddenly gone awful!!

AES, Pebeco are a Niqua blade type name. They list them here, https://www.niqua-shop.de/en/holzlaubsa ... ter-c83945
Also I seem to remember a while ago people having problems with FD blades snapping for no apparent reason myself included and I think the general consensus was that it could have been a bad batch of steel used in the making of the blades and being as Niqua make the Flying Dutchman blades maybe they're from the same steel batch.
happy scrolling
Steve

Hadn't heard of Pebeco before, but always used Niqua blades (un-rebranded Flying Dutchman blades, apparently) with no problems.

I get mine from Hobbies eBay shop.

Thanks Steve & NazNomad. I've heard of Niqua blades, and in fact I THINK that bodgerbaz of this parish, who lives in Germany BTW, has a source local to him.

For me here (Switzerland) I get blades marked "Lux Tools" (quite a common "badge engineering" firm from Germany I think) who market a whole range of small hand tools & accessories in lots of DIY Emporia. In discussion with said bodgerbaz we THINK they too come from Niqua.

At a guess I'd say it's likely that there aren't all that many blade manufacturers really (many of whom doubtless use the same flat wire "raw material" for their blades), but it also seems likely that there are many different brand names for what is actually the same blade.

A bit like Cornflakes really ("own label" & Kellogs & all that stuff)!

AES

I am going to try some number standard tooth blades as the skip and super skip have large gaps between the teeth and me thinks that is the cause for weakened blades? just a thought :cool:
Brian

Back