Breaking Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisw00

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Its my first visit today to the forum, and I am writing in desperation. I had a Delta scroll saw and had no problems with blades breaking. Then I had an excalibur ex-30 again with no problem with blades breaking. I sold the excalibur because it was too big to fit in my small garage.

I now have a Hegner multicut 2S with quick tension release and the round quick release blade clamp. I went for the Hegner from things I read on the internet about being a good reliable saw.

Today is my first time using it. I have only been cutting 6mm plywood, and I have broken 10 blades. First 4 blades were Flying Dutchman No.3 and all the rest have been spiral blades, of which I dont know the make. Can anyone tell me why all these blades have been fine on the other saws but no good on the Hegner? The spiral blades all seem to break in the middle, so I thought maybe the tension was to high. I cant take anymore tension off or the blades are to long to fit in the clamps. They are against the screw in the bottom clamp and right to the top of the quick clamp top clamp.

The Flying dutchman blades seem to break by the clamps. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris,
I have a EX30 and a Axminster Hegner clone with the same clamp system as yourself, recently i have been breaking loads of Pegas number 5 skip blades (even before i turned the saw on) and the guys on here recommended Niqua blades to try and so far they seem fine although the Niqua number 5 blades size is slightly larger than the Pegas ones (a Niqua number 3 would probably do instead for a finer cut)
It seems they get bad batches of blades now and again and all my other Pegas blades are fine.I have never had a blade snap in the middle, they usually snap where they are clamped so maybe too much tension.
Try adjusting the blade clamps so they are just nipped rather than TIGHT as the screws might be cracking the blades.
Keep us posted
Cheers
Brian
ps welcome to the forum :cool:

Hi Brian,
I cant understand why the same blades didnt break on the other saws. I cant take off anymore tension because then the blades seem too long to fit between the clamps. They do ping quite a high sounding ping but I cant remove more tension as I said above. Nowing me I am doing something stupid, but I have tried all I can think of.

Chris

Back