UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, you're a very fortunate man to have these gorgeous little critters to look at. I've only every seen them as they dash across the road etc. I think that stoats, weasels, martens and the like are truly beautiful animals and yes as you say they are vicious or rather very dedicated hunters. We had mink in the countryside where I used to live in Cornwall, they had escaped from mink farms and they devastated the wildlife, that was back in the 1960s.

I must look up other intarsia posts here to see if you have any more photos.

Kind regards, Bob

Another nice piece Brian.

As for Stoats - they are a heated subject in Orkney. Until recently Orkney didn't have Stoats (or indeed rats, or foxes) however they have been spotted recently and there is a major movement to eradicate them.

Of course, personally, I think that is a shame but I defer to the various wildlife groups who insist that they would destroy the current balance of wildlife on Orkney, in particular, the Orkney Vole.

Phill

''Stoats were first introduced to Orkney in 2010'' - Which suggests they were deliberately put there by people who thought they knew what they were doing?

''There is concern that they threaten the Orkney vole, which is an important source of food for hen harriers and short-eared owls.'' - Blimey, those voles get a rum deal, a choice of being chewed by stoats or shredded by big birds. :-(

NazNomad":ak903gpu said:
''Stoats were first introduced to Orkney in 2010'' - Which suggests they were deliberately put there by people who thought they knew what they were doing?

''There is concern that they threaten the Orkney vole, which is an important source of food for hen harriers and short-eared owls.'' - Blimey, those voles get a rum deal, a choice of being chewed by stoats or shredded by big birds. :-(

Regrettably, I have to admit that our dog is partial to the odd vole, mouse, or rabbit when he's loose on the links.

Phill

Latest posts

Back