Wall Cabinet Elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
Just applied the finish to the last of the Elm I had, liking the colours and grain.

3539gzq.jpg

Sold the bench I last posted and customer has asked for a console to be made after seeing the live edge coffee table I also posted pics of. Need to find some more Elm :wink:

Looks very interesting, nice grain pattern. I've never worked with Elm, how is it in regards to bowimg, twisting and such?

Loving the grain, but for me (sorry) it's maybe a bit too much going on? I might have just used the elm in panels of plainer dark / ebonised wood.

Where it's good it's great, but there are a couple of details that I'm not so keen on.

1. Full marks for flowing the grain across the two panels on the side. You don't get that with High Street furniture and it adds loads of drama.

2. Likewise the vigorous grain on the front panel turns this into a show stopping piece of furniture.

3. It's customary to have the stiles full height, and for the rails to run between the stiles. That's more stable and minimises visible end grain. Nothing wrong with chucking convention out of the window, but in this case I don't think it works.

4. With such vibrant panels I'd have made the stiles and rails from the most boring, straight grained stuff I had. On frame and panel construction the frame should "frame" the panels, not fight with them. Furthermore, wild grain on stiles and rails usually results in twisting and warping, so the door won't close cleanly.

5. The hinges look way too small.

I suspect this is a project that was too big for the amount of timber you had available, so you were forced to use timber that's not best suited for particular components. Maybe that's why you're not showing the full cabinet with the other door? I'll often scrap half of the timber I buy, high wastage is just a fact of life with quality furniture making. If you try and use up every bit you end up making stuff that looks like it came from Oak Furnitureland.

By the way, I'm not being critical, I'm being constructive. You actually went into your workshop and made something, so in my book you're already streets ahead of all the armchair warriors who just talk about woodwork!

=D>

"By the way, I'm not being critical " ouch Mr Custard, I'd hate to see you being critical then... :lol:

No more pics I'm afraid :roll:

You cant please everyone, only yourself :wink:

I wouldn't take it that badly, bioonose. You got three great compliments from Custard, which is something worth treasuring! He's trying to make you great throughout :).

I learned something from his comments, anyway. I hadn't thought about the rail/stile issue (I don't make much furniture), but when you do, it's sensible.

Back