Pricing help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamster21":znrkxb3f said:
Gents - just sticking a toe in the water and all that. Much appreciate being able to 'evesdrop' on all the advice flying backwards and forwards here. Its acting as both an inspiration and a reality check for someone who has access to a hopefully productive marketplace for 'passing' trade for small pieces of work and in the long term the odd small commission for what I can make in my spare time... So please do all keep talking...

And an abundance of spare time you clearly have.

A learning curve is what you mean I think.

I think the only reality check here is me thinking this site was a helpful forum for a new starter in the trade. In actual fact it appears to be a fellowship for people suffering with narcissistic personality disorder. Some have been a great help.

I think since the loss of my dad (Employer) 2 months ago to this day I've done pretty well to build up a carpentry business to what nearly is the biggest in our area. Without his financial aid before you say. So why don't you shove your verbal excrement where it belongs before you decide to stick your ore in next time.

Now let this serve as a 'reality check' to you.

Tada

Char,

Your last reply was ungracious and churlish. The post you responded to was not getting at you at all.

To obtain more help and assistance from here you should try a clamer more considered approach.

Good luck

Al

beech1948":8mbclhow said:
Char,

Your last reply was ungracious and churlish. The post you responded to was not getting at you at all.

To obtain more help and assistance from here you should try a clamer more considered approach.

Good luck

Al

Expected a little more help to be honest.

Not the place for me hindsight would suggest.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly an innocent thread deteriorates into nuclear war. God help us all. Surely - if you ask an open opinion from a forum like this one - you have to be prepared to take whatever comes your way? I agree I think there's been some sound advice here.
Good luck to you
Mark

Char,

What has annoyed me is your attitude and approach in your posting.

However, lets let that go by.

You want help re pricing. Here goes for my sins.

1) You know nowt yet or at least just the basics.
2) Your first few commissions will be done in an amateurish manner re pricing so accept it and just do your best.
3) BUT start to make a list or a spreadsheet of what you are buying to run the workshop. Split it into job specific and other.
4) Job specific include wood, fittings ( eg hinges,locks,brackets etc ) and your estimated time to complete. Set an hourly rate you need to achieve for yourself. Then for now 1/2 it as you are still at the slow stage. In six to 12 months reinstate it back to the full rate when you are at least 100% faster.
5) Other or Workshop costs. In here put electric, water,gas, glue,tool replacement, tool purchases, rags, paper towel rolls, stains,varnishes, paint, brushes, dust collection, etc etc.

After 6 months take all these costs and add them up and divide by 26 weeks to give you a first weekly consumables rate( divide by 26 X 5 days if you want an daily rate). This is the rate you need to afford all of the little essentials per day.
6) Add in some profit say 25% per job.

Now when you quote you do the following:-

1) Never give a quote off the cuff always do it in writing as part of your contract
2) Estimate wood needed, find price and add 10% or even 15% for contingencies
3) Estimate your time in hours ( while your being slow then maybe double the experienced pro's time) and multiply by the hourly rate you need
4) Add 2+3 above
5) To 4 above add the daily consumables rate mentioned above
6) Add profit to 5

You have roughly priced the job. Repeat this throughout your business life and you will get some accurate figues out. Keep a record of time taken both to see your improvement and also to see if you can a) increase your rate because you are quicker b) quote a more reduced price to win more business.

I said roughly priiced. That is because pricing is part science and part art. The science bit above will give you real world numbers. The art bit comes from judging the customer, what can they afford ?, what did they expect ?, will they compromise on materials ? and do you want to do this job then ?.

Finally pricing is not everything. Learn about what form of contract you need. What form of partial payment is needed. I take 50% up front before I start and expect the final balance upon delivery. Fitting is an extra charge.

So lots to learn.

Search the site for other mentions of "pricing" and you should find quite a few similar threads with even more detail. Some of these are 5 or more years old but the underlying principles are the same. Best to use Google to search the site as our search facility lacks precision.

Good luck.
Al

Char":aah8q2gb said:
Jamster21":aah8q2gb said:
Gents - just sticking a toe in the water and all that. Much appreciate being able to 'evesdrop' on all the advice flying backwards and forwards here. Its acting as both an inspiration and a reality check for someone who has access to a hopefully productive marketplace for 'passing' trade for small pieces of work and in the long term the odd small commission for what I can make in my spare time... So please do all keep talking...

And an abundance of spare time you clearly have.

A learning curve is what you mean I think.

I think the only reality check here is me thinking this site was a helpful forum for a new starter in the trade. In actual fact it appears to be a fellowship for people suffering with narcissistic personality disorder. Some have been a great help.

I think since the loss of my dad (Employer) 2 months ago to this day I've done pretty well to build up a carpentry business to what nearly is the biggest in our area. Without his financial aid before you say. So why don't you shove your verbal excrement where it belongs before you decide to stick your ore in next time.

Now let this serve as a 'reality check' to you.

Tada

Nice - thanks very much. Sorry about your dad but otherwise you're coming across like a bit of a kn0b. Straight enough for you?

beech1948":16rv39jf said:
Char,

Good luck

Al

Cheers - no offience intended but clearly taken.

Back