Beer and Darts Cabin/Workshop Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff fella. That roof looks a cracker. Wouldn't have considered using it myself (not sure why really), but will bear it mind when I have to redo mine.

Bm101":1l553bhm said:
Great stuff fella. That roof looks a cracker. Wouldn't have considered using it myself (not sure why really), but will bear it mind when I have to redo mine.
I think there's a worry about excessive condensation Chris, it being metal and all. But I used it on my Sitooterie (mainly because I had a whole load of it for free!) and haven't had a problem so far. Providing the ends are kept open, with barge boards set slightly lower than the edge of the tin, there is masses of ventilation going on under there. The corrugations provide airflow from top to bottom and the 38mm deep battens allow fresh air in from each end - can't see a problem. No idea about longevity but the older panels I re-used from the old tractor shed were certainly there in 1990, when the previous owner of our house moved in, and even though some are quite rusty there's plenty of life left in them yet. And when they do fail you just throw another panel on top :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Woodchips2":2vn6ijb8 said:
Enjoying this WIP Paul and you've got a lot done in a short space of time so well done =D> =D> =D>

Plus it looks good :)

Regards Keith
Cheers Keith - and thanks for the kind comments. I had to check back to the beginning when you mentioned a 'short space of time' and I can't believe it's only been 6 weeks since I started! I'm feeling a lot more encouraged now - cheers mate 8)

Paul

Paul
I see you were considering using Onduline. I've used Onduline on a 35 degree pitch and it worked fine but it sagged on a shallower pitch even though I'd followed the manufacturer's instructions for spacing of supports. I think you have less potential problems with the corrugated metal sheets and would have been my choice.

Regards Keith

Most of the criticism I've seen of Onduline has been precisely this Keith. I've also had a good look at a friend's shed roof and, well, was appalled by it to be honest. Not a straight line to be seen - even along the ridge! I'll stick to wrinkly tin in future ;-)

Made a start on the deck at the weekend - I know the gables still need cladding but I like building decks.

The basic framework -
IMG_1495a.jpg

The (probably) over-complicated/over-engineered and doomed to failure step framework takes shape :shock: Couldn't have done it without my little friend on the right there - such a useful little machine.
IMG_1500a.jpg

Nearly there ......
IMG_1501a.jpg

Cutting out for the post-holes. The edge board in the foreground is temporarily screwed down until I reach the end of the frame and know exactly where to cut the corner -
IMG_1503a.jpg

And this is as far as I got before the weather changed - again :roll:
IMG_1505a.jpg

Feel free to criticise - I might enjoy building them but I just make it up as I go :-k [-o< (hammer)

Cheers all, Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1495a.jpg
    IMG_1495a.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1500a.jpg
    IMG_1500a.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1501a.jpg
    IMG_1501a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1503a.jpg
    IMG_1503a.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_1505a.jpg
    IMG_1505a.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 766
Alright Bud. Looking great. I used to be landscape gardener and I always really enjoyed doing decks although had no training except hands on from the older fellas (none of who were carpenters etc). So as usual you can discard my opinion freely. I think that looks fine. I might have nogged it a bit more but I'm a little over cautious possibly. Sure the deck boards will hold it together just fine. It's only getting very light traffic though judging from your profile pic the odd Hoedown might occur on a full moon. :wink: And the inevitable deadweight of the Zombie horde at some point of course.
If you have a circular saw you could remove the edge board, lay the perpendicular boards in on the angled cut overhanging slightly, set the blade depth a tiny fraction over the board depth, use a batten/guide and rip along the line when they are down then fix the edge board. That way you don't have to cut and fit them individually. Does that make sense? Just one cut in a dead straight line and all edge board can be fixed easily and then cut the corner. (As clear as Mountain Mist? And forgive me for Granny, teaching, sucking off eggs and all that :D )

I know it's too late but I saw this the other day and stored in my 'ohh thats neat, store for later ideas bank.'

NLDMXMN.jpg

Shed is looking fantastic all in all mate. You must be very pleased.
Cheers
Chris

Bm101":2o5ciyfs said:
Alright Bud. Looking great. I used to be landscape gardener and I always really enjoyed doing decks although had no training except hands on from the older fellas (none of who were carpenters etc). So as usual you can discard my opinion freely. I think that looks fine. I might have nogged it a bit more but I'm a little over cautious possibly. Sure the deck boards will hold it together just fine. It's only getting very light traffic though judging from your profile pic the odd Hoedown might occur on a full moon. :wink: And the inevitable deadweight of the Zombie horde at some point of course.
If you have a circular saw you could remove the edge board, lay the perpendicular boards in on the angled cut overhanging slightly, set the blade depth a tiny fraction over the board depth, use a batten/guide and rip along the line when they are down then fix the edge board. That way you don't have to cut and fit them individually. Does that make sense? Just one cut in a dead straight line and all edge board can be fixed easily and then cut the corner. (As clear as Mountain Mist? And forgive me for Granny, teaching, sucking off eggs and all that :D )

I know it's too late but I saw this the other day and stored in my 'ohh thats neat, store for later ideas bank.'

NLDMXMN.jpg

Shed is looking fantastic all in all mate. You must be very pleased.
Cheers
Chris

Chuffed to bits with it mate. That corner detail is beautiful - but not for us I think. Everywhere round here is covered in cow poo - we live in wellies - so I'm happy with the rustic look :wink: I'll bank the picture though - just in case I ever feel the need to run from the never ending social whirl (hoedowns) and return to what passes for civilisation. I'll still want to build decks!

I did wonder about noggins on the long spans but thought, as you say, that the boards will hold it all together. So far so good - and I can always retro fit if necessary. For some reason the thought of trimming the ends of the boards in one go with a circular saw never entered my head - what was that you were saying about zombies? :roll:

Cheers, Paul

Nice new workshop. No bench yet and tools spread all over the house. It's a matter of priorities really 8)
IMG_1566a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1566a.jpg
    IMG_1566a.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 635
Not being funny Paul. Fundamental mistake in design spotted immediately. Please don't take it badly.
If we ever finally get round to the Zombie Apocalypse and I make it up to yours in a hotwired armoured PO van (still got skills!) with the family in the back. We'll obviously have to hole up for a while there till It All Calms Down A Bit. The shed looks okay but you misunderetimationguessed my ability to throw darts in an appropriately accurate fashion while wildly drunk on your stock of 28 year old malt. Now granted, likelihood is the windows will be boarded up from the outside I give you that but still, might be an idea to move the dart board to somewhere more 'non-glazier' as the French very possibly might say. Other than that it looks preeeeety neat-o mate. Thumbs up pal. Bosh. Jobs a goodun!
:wink:
Cheers matey
Chris

:lol: I thought you were going to mention the lack of a bar :lol: Working on it buddy - working on it!

The original idea was to put the board on a fold down flap that covered the window. That may still happen but I haven't hurled a dart for too many decades so popped it up on the wall for a bit of practice. Anyway - there's no danger of us profeshnealls spiking the glazing is there? I always played better after a few jars - or that's what I thought :roll:

Found out recently that our nearest town has the second oldest population in the UK - I think the zombies are here already :wink: (I'm allowed to say things like that, great age opens up a whole world of pushed boundaries and I'm making the most of it :twisted: )

Take care out there

Paul

Back