Checking a moulded or large thing for square.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
The majority of the time a squaring rod with two pencil marks can be used to check the diagonals. There's several other ways , roofing square, getting someone to hold the other end of the tape measure etc etc
I'm making a large batch of windows and doors at the moment and the mould makes it difficult to measure on my own
aff87c735679eaac3a35f2397002824f.jpg

A fairy quick workaround is to clamp a square ended piece of wood in each corner
c082208961d3d993b96e22e7985ba554.jpg

Then hook the tape measure over it and check each diagonal
969e9bd069494029869f6e5d517163cc.jpg

(I've added a champfer to avoid the tape wearing away the point too quickly)
You need to make sure the piece of wood sticks up the same amount, so in this instance I just kept it inline with the rebate.
There's no reason it couldn't be used on box carcasses or anything that needs to be square. I think I prefer using the tape measure for checking diagonals as it gives me an exact reading of how shoddy my work is ! :lol:
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MikeG.":26cccnnm said:
You'd need two, with exactly the same chamfer.
Tis true. I used the chopsaw length stop and tilted the saw to 45 degrees. Put a 45 degree cut on each end, then chopped it in half.

Cordy":25r596u8 said:
Good idea !! :D
Thanks. Gluing up and checking for square isn't an issue now. Finding somewhere to stack all of it though......... :lol:

MikeG.":1ghc5333 said:
You'd need two, with exactly the same chamfer.
No you don't. You're only checking the two diagonals for equality.

Any errors in the chock pieces would be same for both diagonals.

BugBear

Back