Not enough noggins?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitzroy":a7w5gqz5 said:
Yup all in place. A concrete slab would have been the first choice but I live in a conservation area, so had to apply for planning permission, and the location for the building is under a set of protected trees so minimal allowable ground works. Hence the pier block foundations. It all rather is what it is, question was really asked from a learning viewpoint should I ever do it again.

The building is a glorified shed, yes I'll use it for my projects and it'll have some equipment in it, but not tonnes and tonnes of the stuff. I Plan to open a few slots up in the floor and see if I can insert some intermediate blocks for support mid span. I'll then fix the final floor boards over the Osb and history will be the judge. The whole thing is built on the cheap, but that's all I wanted to spend, you pay your money and make your choices.

F.

As long as you accept it maybe isn't as perfect as you would like it will be fine in that case, just don't let it get to you it's a great space. Life is far too short to worry about the floor being a little less than flat. :)

As far as the concrete base is concerned, in most cases you would have been allowed to construct that base because it would be above ground and not interfere with roots any more than your existing 100mm of hardcore does and in reality an above ground plinth is removable unlike concrete foundations.
I've been involved with several projects with grade 2 listed and conservation areas and although had to fight, they really can't refuse a reasonable project well planned and firmly argued. Different authorities can vary in their opinions of course so you sometimes have to be more assertive.

cheers
Bob

It was the idea of hatches that saved the day! Cut a hatch in the centre of each sheet, got the car jack under the centre of each joist and raised them up to level. Wedged a stack of slates as mid point support. Seemed to go well, all flat and now zero bounce. I'd not actually noticed the bounce until one area was fully supported and realised how solid it then felt. Doubt it's the perfect solution but it's way better and now happy to lay the proper floor.
IMG_5112.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

Thanks for all the advice and strong words, without them I'd have been asking a rather more involved question in six months time when the uneven floor had finally driven me potty.

F.

PS also didn't find any evidence of critters having set up home, which was a relief.

Attachments

• IMG_5111.JPG
    IMG_5111.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 508
The car jack was a clever solution ! Good on ya for nipping it in the bud now, I take my hat off to you. It's gonna look superb with the oak floor on top.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I built a suspended floor using 8 X 2, but have a car on it so wanted it rock solid. I fitted it and levelled it at both sides like you have, then I cast concrete pads at 60cm intervals. Used DPM to create a shuttering ring, put DPM around the wood as filled the well with concrete.

Maybe something you could consider?

I'd pour a little concrete around the slates anyway or at least chuck in some mortar because over time the slates will move and either crack or dislodge. You're almost there!

Back