what have I ended up with

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slate1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all won a couple of grinding jigs on ebay and was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are, I know there is something missing from the first pic could anyone tell me what is missing and where I could get the part please,
grinding jig 1.JPG
grinding jig 2.JPG
grinding jig 4.JPG
I have no idea what this one used for or how to set it up
Many Thank Paul

Attachments

• grinding jig 1.JPG
    grinding jig 1.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,102
  • grinding jig 2.JPG
    grinding jig 2.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,102
  • grinding jig 4.JPG
    grinding jig 4.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,102
It looks like the guide in the bottom picture is an angle guide. It slides in the slot of the grinding jig to enable you to get a 45 degree angle, for a skew chisel for example. There probably should be similar guide set at 90 degrees.

You can adjust the ' other' angle using the locking levers, also the distance between guide and grinding wheel.

K

Yes, that's basically it. It's a platen for bolting in front of the grinding wheel. The platen angle is referenced between the wheel (a tangent to it to be strict) to cater for different bevel angles and the central groove is for a second jig to be located in that will fix the tool in a different way. If you you tube videos on the Robert Sorby Proedge you'll find footage of the different sorts of jigs that those tools will be useful for.

The triangle is indeed a jig for sharpening a skew and maintaining the appropriate skewed angle as you slide the tool across the grinding wheel. One of the jigs that will run in that central groove could be another grooved jig at right angles to it which allows the shaping of roughing gouges. But its not just for turning tool, plane and chisel irons can be presented to the wheel when flat on its surface at say an angle of 25 or 30 degrees.

The top one is from Axminster. IIRC they sold it as an own name brand.
The second one is missing the base. It's the stem & table from an O'Donnell grinding jig.
I have the manual in PDF form if you want a copy.

I have one similar to the first pic and it has a small miter guage that fits in the slot. You could make one to fit reasonably easy.
Regards
John

Robbo3":1gi0h380 said:
The top one is from Axminster. IIRC they sold it as an own name brand.
The second one is missing the base. It's the stem & table from an O'Donnell grinding jig.
I have the manual in PDF form if you want a copy.

+1 I have one of these too. They are quite desirable and have fetched good money on Ebay in the past.

I use mine a lot

James

Thank you all very much for your help it is the first one I would like to get working if parts are still available,
Paul

Back