Advice wanted on drilling four special holes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The roll pin has made the holes off-round, which is part of the problem.

There is a plan:

Attempt #1: will try to get the hole(s) to be a snug fit for the 6mm pin I've got as a spare part.

If that doesn't work,

Attempt #2 I've had the kind offer of loan of a 6.35mm reamer. I have some 6.35mm silver steel bar (on the desk as I type, as it happens). so will ream out to 6.35mm (I think I've got a 6.1 or 6.2 good quality jobber drill somewhere). The only issue with that is cutting the bar to length and drilling it for split pins (and washers, but if I can achieve that it's probably the best solution.

I daren't go bigger because of the location of the holes, but that should work. I need a good day to do it too, and life is busy presently, so may be a week or two.

Appreciate all the ideas - wouldn't have thought of opening it out to 6.3mm on my own (brain fugs too easily!).

Sounds good, EtV, although IMO you don't have to go to the trouble of drilling for split pin retainer/s.

You CAN thread the end of your silver steel rod (I've done it, but it IS difficult) but unless there's a lot of sideways movement, which I doubt, "good" retention is not necessary. Why not try to get hold of 1 (or 2 if 1 on each end is needed) of those "top hat" shaped "internal spring washer thingies" that you see retaining the wheels on stuff like shopping trolleys, prams, kids toys, etc? Sorry I don't know what they're called officially, but I guess you know the things that I mean?

HTH

AES

I think if I was doing this and wanted to keep to original specs then I'd measure where the holes are in relation on the part then I would TIG weld the holes over and drill and ream them afresh.

Back