Feather files for japinese saw sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps

I need to sharpen a Ryoba the crosscut side, so where is the best place for feather files? my google foo seems to be weak.

Pete

Thanks Andy.

I did see that one but it looks a bit big, do you or any one know of any others?

I have never done a Japanese saw before so I am not conversant with the files apart from knowing the name of them.

Pete

I have an assortment of needle files which includes one of similar shape to the one at WH and a single knife profile which might be suitable of the teeth are very small.
One is marked Stubs and the other is from the Portuguese firm that's been discussed favourably on here:

http://www.tomefeteira.com/saw_files.html

Rorschach":29tnkr9i said:
Aren't the teeth hardened? If so you will need a diamond file.

This. The japanese files are as hard or slightly harder than western saw files, but no match for impulse hardened teeth. The same shaped diamond files can be bought about as cheaply as a feather file.

Thanks chaps.

I will have a dig around Dictum etc.

A needle file won't work as the gullet angle isn't 60deg, the teeth aren't hardened so sharpening is possible, and I fancy giving it a go.

Pete

Needle files come in a huge variety of shapes and angles - at least, they did when I bought mine. 'Knife' should still be a standard profile at about 10°.

Back