Another wood I.D please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
Timber was very faintly marked "Parra" on one piece and Parrat.." on another, so it could be Parana Pine?
Far more like a hardwood than a pine but a quick Google describes parana as being unlike other pines.
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
The second picture shows the side of another board and the bark / edging is very rough. The end grain (picture 3) is not too dissimilar from some Acacia I have.
Any thoughts please?

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 97
Looks like iroko to me
It would be helpful to see another close up pic of the section closest to what could be the rift sawn face of the plank.
i.e... The part without cathedrals
How hard is it and heavy ?

Its hard and reasonably heavy. I would have thought it was a hardwood but the marking on it (from a retired cabinet maker) kind of threw me as everything else I bought from him is marked correctly. I did do a wood database search for woods beginning with a P and hence the "Parra" = parana pine?
I've never knowingly seen any parana pine in the flesh so I don't know what to expect.

Had this cabinetmaker one of these vices ?
He could have intended to use this timber for it
Just a random thought
Tom

Attachments

• d3125-f81190976140982602bd3d73aaf57ca4.jpg
    d3125-f81190976140982602bd3d73aaf57ca4.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 78
It's usually challenging to identify a wood species from images, and this is no exception. As others have said it does have a look quite typical of iroko. However, another candidate might be keruing, which is made up of something like seventy species from the dipterocarpus genus. My experience of keruing is that it tends to be stringy, fibrous and frequently contains quite pronouncedftool dulling silica, so there may be clues there, although not all those species that go into what's sold as keruing have such characteristics. Slainte.

Ttrees":7wgq349x said:
Had this cabinetmaker one of these vices ?
He could have intended to use this timber for it
Just a random thought
Tom
No everything I bought was planked and designated for furniture / cabinet making. Unfortunately I can't contact him because it was a terminal illness that forced the sale of his stocks but he did have some unusual timbers in the several occasions we met (I was the only person to reply to his adverts). For example I have some Japanese oak which I haven't come across before or afterwards.
As I said before it was the marking that threw me and he had everything marked as to the type of wood and the dimensions (in imperial units of course).

A snap of that area of the timber suggested, and it would give a better chance of identifying the species.
I have some flasawn iroko that looks like it.
If you could show a close up of the grain on the most riftsawn part.
If not for a parrot vice, it could have been for a parrot cage ?

Back