Lighting Tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this is another thread but thought it might be worth sharing.

I find that sometimes I need some direct light on machines (Bandsaw and Pillar Dill). I use these £10 lights from Ikea:

e59f53c990e094231c0c1bbe3b6a7272.jpg

I find they give a great directional light, clip on to my machines, stay where you bend them to and at £10 they don't break the bank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2 of these, 1 over my grinder and 1 over my 12 inch sander for a couple of years now. Very directional and provide good light for my aging eyes. Next time I'm in ikea (groan), I shall pick up some more. Cheap as chips !

I use the same clip on Ikea light on my bandsaw and I use the similar Ikea model with the heavy base for use on my bench - both are very good.

There are two versions of that IKEA lamp, I think.

I've got one as a bedside lamp (it's the version with a heavy base), and that is 4W, and decently bright. I was keen on the clip on ones, but I think they're lower power output. Can't remember what, but it's worth double-checking if you intend them for a specific task.

The table lamp version, incidentally, is easily modified to fix onto things - there are two threaded bushes at the bottom of the gooseneck that take M3 screws. My pillar drill takes Edison screw conventional bulbs in a hard-to-get size nowadays (grrr!). i'll probably fit one of these when my stock finally runs out.

240v, 12w daylight LED panel light complete with converter to DC, about £7 on Ebay mounted on an articulated arm made from offcuts. Can be clamped or hung using the french cleat on the back.

Panel Light 12w.JPG

Attachments

• Panel Light 12w.JPG
    Panel Light 12w.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,345
DiscoStu":2a3sg564 said:
I posted this is another thread but thought it might be worth sharing.

I find that sometimes I need some direct light on machines (Bandsaw and Pillar Dill). I use these £10 lights from Ikea:

e59f53c990e094231c0c1bbe3b6a7272.jpg

I find they give a great directional light, clip on to my machines, stay where you bend them to and at £10 they don't break the bank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got about four of those in the 'shop and more in the house...brilliant! :D - Rob

Back