Protecting oil tank from falling trees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better be quick about it if you are going to fell any trees this year. I believe It is against the law to fell a tree during bird nesting season if birds have started to nest in it. And the bird nesting season is just starting. You can of course fell a tree with no nesting birds in it but you might have to be licensed to certify that there were no birds in it. Your tree surgeon might be able to advise and also certify it is ok.

Neil

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Neil S":2warwdjr said:
Better be quick about it if you are going to fell any trees this year. I believe It is against the law to fell a tree during bird nesting season if birds have started to nest in it. And the bird nesting season is just starting. You can of course fell a tree with no nesting birds in it but you might have to be licensed to certify that there were no birds in it. Your tree surgeon might be able to advise and also certify it is ok.k

You're absolutely right. I talked to the farmer about the trees and he confirmed what you said - it's too late now for thinning out the trees immediately behind the tank because of nesting birds. Maybe next year?

Thanks for the advice, chaps.

We decided that a frame over the tank would give us peace of mind, at least until we can thin out the trees next year. I received quotes from six local firms and the prices ranged from £300 to £1190!

The cheapest price is also the easiest option - the guy will build the front and back sections of the frame, and once they're concreted in place he'll bring his welder out to the house and attach cross pieces to join them both together. The other quotes were to design and build a frame which could be bolted together in situ, which involved welding pre-drilled plates on every joint - much more complicated.

Several firms wanted a rough design to quote from, so below is a drawing I made on Sketchup. It's since changed a bit: the frame will be 0.4m wider and an extra upright positioned halfway along the front.

Over the last few days I've been digging big holes in incredibly gooey clay for the footings. The fabricator is intending to build the frame tomorrow, but because the weather has been so wet I haven't been able to finish digging the holes and pouring the concrete yet.

Once it's up I'll post a photo.

Cheers,
Mark

7641c076949dcfa195505c32d3b99e15.jpg

92bf4943caf851635fe87a478340436e.jpg

Would a slightly arched top be more useful in deflecting a falling tree ? plus it could look a lot nicer with a few clematis of similar . As nothing has been built yet it should not cost a lot more .

opps i could be a little late :oops:

MARK.B.":2t8vqw1m said:
Would a slightly arched top be more useful in deflecting a falling tree ? plus it could look a lot nicer with a few clematis of similar . As nothing has been built yet it should not cost a lot more .

opps i could be a little late :oops:

I was thinking the same thing!

Hello Mark B & C

You're a bit late...

8a5dc8496c786ca3c0c02b52cd60b962.jpg

I picked up the frame this morning from the fabricator.

I was still finishing off the footings at 9.45 last night - 9 1/2 mixer loads carried to the top of a hill with a bad back and damaged knee ligament hurts the next day.

Your point regarding the shape of the frame is something I did consider; though I didn't want to overcomplicated the design. Anyway, it only has to see us through to next winter when we can trim the trees.

The concrete is still a bit soft from last night so I'll try to move the frame into position sometime over the weekend, if the rain holds off.

Cheers,

Mark A

Back