Veritas String Inlay Tool System - Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find much information or reviews before taking the plunge and buying these tools, so here we go...
No idea how to get photos the right way round, but click for full size and all will be revealed!

IMG_0251.JPG

Up top is the String Inlay Scraper, with the Inlay tool on the left and the Compass centre (with pencil holder) on the right.
I've never done any of this type of work before, but as usual the Veritas instructions are easy enough to put into action.

First, set the Scraper to the width of inlay required - no fiddling about required, just pop the groove blade (which we'll meet again later) underneath and tighten up.

IMG_0252.JPG

I then cut a strip of veneer (roughly 1.5mm) on the bandsaw from an offcut of Ash. Not the best material to work with, I suspect, but I'll hopefully be picking up some Holly soon enough.
The instructions for the Inlay Scraper recommended building a jig for batch work and I can rarely resist the temptation to add another jig to the pile...

IMG_0253.JPG

The Scraper is used just like a cabinet scraper, with the exception that it "bottoms out" on two skates either side of the blade when the depth is reached. Not sure that ply is the ideal material for my jig as the skates are digging in a bit.

With the veneer scraped level and to size, it was time to get the Inlay Tool out.
This comes with a slicing blade (for trimming veneer into strips) and a groove blade (for making grooves in the workpiece). They're interchangeable but it's a bit fiddly, and I can see myself hunting for the screw/washer combo amongst the shavings on the floor at some point. Either that, or shell out for an extra cutter head and have a dedicated one for each operation. Here's the slicing blade in action -

IMG_0254.JPG

Yep, I built another jig to hold the veneer in place.
There's a couple of detachable rods that line up alongside the cutter head; a very useful touch as you can introduce the blade lightly as they ride on the jig's fence.

IMG_0255.JPG

Stringing sorted, time to lay out and cut some grooves...

Attachments

• IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 1,595
  • IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,593
As mentioned, changing the blade is a bit fiddly -

IMG_0262.JPG

I faffed about for a bit using the pencil holder to layout a design, but the posh Veritas bookies' pencil wasn't up to much and I couldn't be bothered to head indoors and fetch a decent one...let's just say that the layout option is probably necessary but I was too keen to make grooves!

IMG_0263.JPG

The groove blade works with a sort of push/pull technique - pushing defines the groove and pulling scrapes it out. I got nice, clean, well-defined grooves with no tear out or fluffy edges first time round. Very impressed.

At was at this point that I decided to quit while I was ahead, hopefully tomorrow I'll get time to let the stringing meet the groove and report back...

Attachments

• IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,583
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,582
I have been thinking of taking the plunge myself regards the Veritas inlay tools. It has been almost a year now since you posted, how are you getting along with them? Have you found them to be a worthwhile set of tools? Are they worth the money? Would you recommend them, or are other methods with more commonly used tools just as efficient?

I would welcome your response.

Thanks

David

Back